Ceiling Prep

Jimmy, for the love of God, stop! I brought you wife in because you brought her in first! Are you stoned, drunk or just plain stupid? Open fiberglass insulation in a recording studio? REALLY? Give me a FUCKING BREAK! Better yet, please provide a link to a Professional Studio that uses this system.

Well at least you are not acting like a dick now... Seriously man, chill the fuck out. I never stated in any way 'open' fiberglass insulation. It is always contained with appropriate cloth. What is the issue you have?

I will find that information for you if you stop denying and judging yourself and others here. I actually wonder who the stoned/drunk/stupid one is here... You are the one starting shit 'Dude'.

Today I brought my 5 year old daughter to school. Then took my wife for x-rays to find out how severe her surgery will be for a torn meniscus. Back at home before I cook dinner only to find some fucker I don't know calling me a dick.

??? Do you see how that is not beneficial for anyone on this forum?

So whatever. You do what you feel is appropriate.

Cloth-wrapped mineral wool is fairly standard for use as acoustic dampening panels in studios around the world. If you're really freaked out about particles somehow working their way through the fabric, then first wrap your mineral woold in a thin plastic sheet, then wrap with an acoustically transparent fabric. It'll have a subtle effect on their absorption characteristics, though.

GIK and RealTraps don't do any plastic wrap, and I don't think that the extensive use of their products worldwide has yet uncovered any hazard related to fiber particulates leaking from the panels.

That is one of the bennies of being 56 years old Jimmy, I am calm. I have a brother just like you, his name is Jimmy as well. He will start an argument and then blame it on everyone else. Simply put, your advice on this thread is 100% incorrect concerning fiberglass. Please tell you wife, I am sorry she was brought in to this putrid conversation. If you persist in this battle, you will be the first person I add to my "Foe" list.

100%? Dude? Ok Mack. Start your education for us all. I honestly would love to know if my daughter is subjected to carcinogens. That would be the last thing I ever want to do is give an unhealthy environment for my daughter. Prove to me what I have never heard before as that being an issue.

So if you are going to educate us all that we are wrong, then please commence with the proof.

I do suggest that you start a new thread as this one has become a banter bullshit thing.

If you truly care and give factual information, I will make it a stuck thread so other members can benefit from the info you provide.

Well at least you are not acting like a dick now... Seriously man, chill the fuck out. I never stated in any way 'open' fiberglass insulation. It is always contained with appropriate cloth. What is the issue you have?

I will find that information for you if you stop denying and judging yourself and others here. I actually wonder who the stoned/drunk/stupid one is here... You are the one starting shit 'Dude'.

Today I brought my 5 year old daughter to school. Then took my wife for x-rays to find out how severe her surgery will be for a torn meniscus. Back at home before I cook dinner only to find some fucker I don't know calling me a dick.

??? Do you see how that is not beneficial for anyone on this forum?

So whatever. You do what you feel is appropriate.

For the love of GOD, you are now just fucking babbling! Grow the fuck up! You are wrong, just suck it down and move the fuck on! Anyone one who reads this thread from START to FINISH will have no problem figuring out how we got to this point.

If need be Jimmy, I will strip my profile, and just move on! It aint worth the fucking effort dealing with you! In fact, I will do that now and be done with this fucking nightmare! All Hail Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY wife as has very bad asthma. She has no problem with the burlap-covered or cotton-covered rockwool in my music room. Particles are NOT going to come out unless you are moving/beating the sh*t out of it.

IMO: the best thing you could do here - with best results, would be to use that open space to stop reflections and absorb some low end buildup. Depending upon your budget, you would be best with cheap pink stuff in the ceiling with some type of covering that allows air/sound to get through. Cloth is the obvious choice but you could drop in a ceiling if you desire.

To the poster below, please read the quote above. This is what started this war. Open fiberglass insulation. If air can get through on this level, fiberglass particles can pass through as well. Just that simple.

Cloth-wrapped mineral wool is fairly standard for use as acoustic dampening panels in studios around the world. If you're really freaked out about particles somehow working their way through the fabric, then first wrap your mineral woold in a thin plastic sheet, then wrap with an acoustically transparent fabric. It'll have a subtle effect on their absorption characteristics, though. GIK and RealTraps don't do any plastic wrap, and I don't think that the extensive use of their products worldwide has yet uncovered any hazard related to fiber particulates leaking from the panels.

Turn on your TV and look for the Lawyers ads concerning pills that came out 5 years ago. I am not paranoid about cancer concerning fiberglass. I am just old enough to not beleive everything I read from lobbyist promoting their goals.

100%? Dude? Ok Mack. Start your education for us all. I honestly would love to know if my daughter is subjected to carcinogens. That would be the last thing I ever want to do is give an unhealthy environment for my daughter. Prove to me what I have never heard before as that being an issue.

I spent over $80,000 dollars fighting against pressure treated lumber being used in our children's playgrounds. YOUR WELCOME!

So if you are going to educate us all that we are wrong, then please commence with the proof.

I already gave you the names. Just Google them and do your own research.

I do suggest that you start a new thread as this one has become a banter bullshit thing.

THIS IS THE LAST COMMENT I WILL MAKE IN THIS COMMUNITY JIMMY! ALL MY INFO HAS BEEN DELETED. fUNNY HOW VERY FEW EVEN FILL OUT THEIR PROFILE.

ALL HAIL JIMMY!

To the poster below, please read the quote above. This is what started this war. Open fiberglass insulation. If air can get through on this level, fiberglass particles can pass through as well. Just that simple.

Turn on your TV and look for the Lawyers ads concerning pills that came out 5 years ago. I am not paranoid about cancer concerning fiberglass. I am just old enough to not beleive everything I read from lobbyist promoting their goals.

I spent over $80,000 dollars fighting against pressure treated lumber being used in our children's playgrounds. YOUR WELCOME!

I already gave you the names. Just Google them and do your own research.

THIS IS THE LAST COMMENT I WILL MAKE IN THIS COMMUNITY JIMMY! ALL MY INFO HAS BEEN DELETED. fUNNY HOW VERY FEW EVEN FILL OUT THEIR PROFILE.

ALL HAIL JIMMY!

What is wrong with you man? I only gave my advice from my experience. You seem to have taken whatever personally. I am in no way a guru that knows everything. In fact I make that clear that I am not. I give my experience with what has worked for me in my personal experience.

Take it for what it worth. Not as you now have shown that it is not what you want to hear.

Again, best to you.

MY wife as has very bad asthma. She has no problem with the burlap-covered or cotton-covered rockwool in my music room. Particles are NOT going to come out unless you are moving/beating the sh*t out of it.

My wife has a bad reaction to mold. I have been with her for 32 years, I knew this from day 1. We went to a shop built in 1890 because she bid on a oil lamp and won the bid. I knew going in that this building was going to be moldy. This was this very weekend. I told her not to go in. She did as she always does and does what she wants. 5 min into the store, I had to carry her out as she could not breath due to the mold. This was my 25 or 40th experience doing this.

10 mins later with her face shoved in front of he ac vent in the car, she got her color back. This is my point. I have no desire to have any kid or adult come in to my studio with any breathing impairment and get chocked up due to fiberglass. That is the bottom line! My reputation, not yours!

I wish I had never even asked this question. And just so you know Jimmy, A textured surface is always 100% better than a smooth on. Read the thread!

How many times do we have to tell you - the particles are NOT going to come out after the installation. The warnings you are so hyped up about are about removing fiberglass insulation during the construction/renovation process..

Why's everybody freaking the fuck out?

Maybe track back to where it went wrong....

If you cover it with cloth that allowed sound to travel through it, that same cloth will allow particles to fall through it.

When you cover your insulation in a material that doesn't allow transmission of sound, how useful is it going to be?

How many times do we have to tell you - the particles are NOT going to come out after the installation. The warnings you are so hyped up about are about removing fiberglass insulation during the construction/renovation process..

How many times? You are so FOS your FBBS! Move on dude!

Not sure what 'FBBS' even means, but since you don't want to listen to common sense and knowledge, I'm done here, too. Do what you want, DOOOOOD, and why bother coming here to ask advice if you don't want it?

My wife has a bad reaction to mold. I have been with her for 32 years, I knew this from day 1. We went to a shop built in 1890 because she bid on a oil lamp and won the bid. I knew going in that this building was going to be moldy. This was this very weekend. I told her not to go in. She did as she always does and does what she wants. 5 min into the store, I had to carry her out as she could not breath due to the mold. This was my 25 or 40th experience doing this.

10 mins later with her face shoved in front of he ac vent in the car, she got her color back. This is my point. I have no desire to have any kid or adult come in to my studio with any breathing impairment and get chocked up due to fiberglass. That is the bottom line! My reputation, not yours!

I wish I had never even asked this question. And just so you know Jimmy, A textured surface is always 100% better than a smooth on. Read the thread!

Please PM me. You now brought your personal issues with your wife after condemning me for doing so? Who is stoned or drinking?

Seriously man, let's talk privately or at least have a productive conversation here.

I must state though that a textured surface like a popcorn ceiling or even a knockdown texture on a wall will have 0% effectiveness for diffusion. I am not sure where you heard this but it is just not true. This is not Jimmy promoting my beliefs, it just is not effective. Sorry man but your research does not seem to have been accurate. That is what this site is for. Discussing these things without bias.

It is not that I am the all knowing dood. Far from it. Yeah, I used dood to describe myself. This site is here for us to discuss what we have learned and share advice based upon that.

Not sure what 'FBBS' even means

FBBS should have been "YFBS". My bad. "Your Fucking Breath Stinks",

, but since you don't want to listen to common sense and knowledge, I'm done here, too.

You never really gave any solid advice.

Do what you want, DOOOOOD, and why bother coming here to ask advice if you don't want it?

Like all community forums, I am looking for opinions. Some good, some bad. I take what makes sense to me and I leave the rest. Kinda like your last comment.

Please PM me. You now brought your personal issues with your wife after condemning me for doing so? Who is stoned or drinking?

Seriously man, let's talk privately or at least have a productive conversation here.

I must state though that a textured surface like a popcorn ceiling or even a knockdown texture on a wall will have 0% effectiveness for diffusion. I am not sure where you heard this but it is just not true. This is not Jimmy promoting my beliefs, it just is not effective. Sorry man but your research does not seem to have been accurate. That is what this site is for. Discussing these things without bias.

It is not that I am the all knowing dood. Far from it. Yeah, I used dood to describe myself. This site is here for us to discuss what we have learned and share advice based upon that.

Jimmy I am done. Think what you will. Please delete my account.

Well, that went smoothly...

This is the most fun I've had all day! I'm gonna drive down to my local Greyhound station and see if I can drum up a few more obstinate crazies and get them to sign up for accounts. BRB...

Great thread. :thumbs up:
Not sure what the fuss is about...but great thread.

:D

If you're mounting panels on walls...a nice tighter-weave cloth that breathes, is all that is needed.
The fiberglass/rockwool inside is not going to move once the panel is.

(Didn't we just talk about this in another thread?)

If you're doing ceiling panels/clouds, and you're very sensitive to fiberglass or any kind of particles...use some 0.4 mil plastic to wrap the insulation panels before putting them into the frames....or you can double layer with the cloth material. I would use a polyester felt for the inner layer, and then your outer cloth. The two layers will crisscross and there should not be anything falling out.

I recently used the plastic wrap approach for traps that are going to be mobile, so considering the constant moving, I wanted to be 100% sure the particles would forever be contained, as I hate fiberglass. The plastic is so sheer...that it will have zero effect on the audio. The outer cloth will have more effect on high frequencies than the 0.4 mil plastic.

The biggest concern with insulation particles happens during the building/installing...so you want to make your traps outside or somewhere where they wont be a problem.

Also...there is to date, no proof that fiberglass or rockwool cause cancer. all the research shows that any particles getting into the lungs will dissolve. They will certainly irritate, but actually...cotton fibers tend NOT to dissolve when inhaled...so think about that next time you clean the lint off your clothes dryer screen....
...but I don't worry about that either, and I prefer cotton clothes over anything synthetic.

Real-world concern about the cotton cloth is that it will absorb moisture and potentially sag/droop...so stretch it real tight.
Polyester will not do that.

The "inside out wall" thing is, in fact, pretty common advice. I've read it in other forums direct from Ethan Winer himself, and I know that it has been, is, and will be used in professional studios for a very long time. Covering the walls with cloth is no different than wrapping panels in cloth, and all kinds of people use those all the god damn time. If you own the house, it really is the cheapest, most effective way to handle it. No question, no worries.

I can't quite go that far here, but in my mix room I built a free standing structure - two side walls and a ceiling, and did almost nothing to contain the fiberglass, and while it was a bit funky for a couple days after installation, I have never had anybody - including several asthmatics - exhibit any sensitivity.

We don't hear about this kind of thing as much in the amateur/home realm - like Jimmy said - because most people want temporary, portable, or removable. If you hire somebody with an acoustics background to design a room for you, this will likely be part of the plan.

Back