Carpet Cloud Ceiling - Would it work?

etchlabstudios

Long story short, I just got a new space for my recording studio. My live room is about 15' x 20', and will need a good amount of acoustic treatment. I'm hoping to do so on a modest budget, and had a weird idea that I'm not sure would work or not.

I have a lot of 4' rolls of carpet that I got for free, and so I had an idea to create somewhat of a floating ceiling, by hanging 4'x4' or maybe 4'x6' sheets of carpet about 6" to 12" off of my 9'2" ceiling. I would probably do somewhat of a checkered on/off pattern, covering roughly half the ceiling's surface area. So my question is, WOULD THIS DO ANYTHING FOR ME?

In addition, I do plan on building floor-to-ceiling corner bass traps with 703, and will probably make up some absorption panels for the walls and the wall-ceiling joints. But I would save a ton of money if this floating carpet ceiling idea would actually work. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Decent question -not sure. I bet if it's a fairly tight weave it will still reflect.
Maybe hung in deep narrow VVVV's?

Decent question -not sure. I bet if it's a fairly tight weave it will still reflect.
Maybe hung in deep narrow VVVV's?

Absorption depends on lots of different factors such as density, depth etc. So carpet will absorb something but it will only be a little and will not really be as effective as a true ceiling cloud. The other problem is that is untested so you have no way of knowing. I would be looking at some clouds which were a lot thicker and designed for purpose

It's not going to absorb the lows. Might work above the drums so that your overheads don't get a lot of (mostly cymbal) backsplash from the ceiling, but I would use regualtr cloud absorbers over the mixing position.

It's not going to absorb the lows. Might work above the drums so that your overheads don't get a lot of (mostly cymbal) backsplash from the ceiling, but I would use regualtr cloud absorbers over the mixing position.

I don't think it would absorb mids either. Just high frequencies.

OP might be better off just waiting until he has the budget to get additional 703.

Back