Can someone comment on my first attempt at acoustics?

jjitter

Hello everyone,

Found this this cool online 3d sketcher in which I made a plan to treat my studio.

Here is the link to my first attempt at treating a room and making a 3D interactive sketch -

Roomle 3D floorplanner for your design ideas

Also attaching some snapshots I took just in case.

Do the absorber panel placements make sense? Although the proportions aren't that great, does it look like an overkill? These will be 64kg/m3, 100mm thick rockwool panels with 2" airgap behind them and the flooring will be a carpet. No foam anywhere. Would love to hear what you guys think.

[MENTION=196982]keith.rogers[/MENTION] [MENTION=39487]mjbphotos[/MENTION] ? have kept the 2nd drum kit out of the picture for now. Will make it a guitar corner I think.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Studio Acoustic Plan3.JPG
    Studio Acoustic Plan3.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Studio Acoustic Plan2.JPG
    Studio Acoustic Plan2.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Studio Acoustic Plan.JPG
    Studio Acoustic Plan.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
It doesn't look like overkill to me, but I'd think about doubling the thickness (200mm) in the corner bass traps.

There are these calculators online that let you determine if your room has the right shape and identifies nodes (like this one) - which unfortunately do not (TMK) handle an L-shape room. But, you could use one with some made up dimensions that equal your surface area (which you'd have to calculate).

So, you take the surface area of all your treatment and multiply it times the coefficient of that treatment. Divide the result by the total surface area of your room, and you'll have a number. See whether that number lands near any of those specs, or whatever. And, keep in mind it looks like your treatment is somewhat uneven, but if nothing else, it's a start. And, you should be able to do that calculation before you even build the first panel/trap.

More reading here: https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/tech/tech3276.pdf

But, really, rooms are different, and getting started is important. Looks like you've got a plan.

You shouldn't leave any gaps in those back corners if you can help it - continuous from floor to ceiling is best. IF you need to leave a gap, at the floor is best as those reflections are least likely to make their way to your ears.

It doesn't look like overkill to me, but I'd think about doubling the thickness (200mm) in the corner bass traps.

There are these calculators online that let you determine if your room has the right shape and identifies nodes (like this one) - which unfortunately do not (TMK) handle an L-shape room. But, you could use one with some made up dimensions that equal your surface area (which you'd have to calculate).

So, you take the surface area of all your treatment and multiply it times the coefficient of that treatment. Divide the result by the total surface area of your room, and you'll have a number. See whether that number lands near any of those specs, or whatever.

Hey thanks for that calculator! And for how I can compare those figures. That should come handy. Will do this today.

And, keep in mind it looks like your treatment is somewhat uneven, but if nothing else, it's a start. And, you should be able to do that calculation before you even build the first panel/trap.

More reading here: https://tech.ebu.ch/docs/tech/tech3276.pdf

But, really, rooms are different, and getting started is important. Looks like you've got a plan.

Yes atleast a start. :) will have to give time to finalize the panel placements through listening, mixing. But when you say the treatment is uneven, are you referring to not having the 2nd panel on the right wall because of the window? What can I do to make the treatment more symmetrical in this assymetrical room?

You shouldn't leave any gaps in those back corners if you can help it - continuous from floor to ceiling is best. IF you need to leave a gap, at the floor is best as those reflections are least likely to make their way to your ears.

Ok I did not know that. Thanks! I thought of putting them on the floor since those corners are where the lows build up the most right? Hence thought of placing them based on pressure build up instead of placing them based on how the reflections will be.

Glad to know the smaller details from you guys.

Your sketches are nice but you are still light no detail. What is your budget? How "good" do want to get? What will you do in the room? Your space is very small. There really isn't such a thing as too much bass trapping treatment. I just went through the exact same thing. See this thread. It veers off a few times into subwoofers but if you read it through you'll see the evolution. If you don't plan to read it all, start at the end. You need to get a measurement mic and measure the room with RoomEQ Wizard (REW) before you put stuff into it.

Seeking feedback on acoustic treatment and design

Here's an even better thread (and a better forum for acoustics) related to my room full of information.

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum •

View topic - Seeking feedback on room acoustic treatment and measurements

Good luck.

For the uneven left-right issue (because of the window) - use hooks (maybe from the ceiling with some picture wire to hang the trap over the window when you are mixing. Then you can take it down to let the light in when not mixing. I have traps to do that because I have 2 windows on my back wall.

Aaah thats a good idea! Will redo the kind of treatment in the drawing and post it. thanks [MENTION=39487]mjbphotos[/MENTION]

Back