Buying a new house...Getting a new Studio

Leave the room open, no added wall. Put the speakers in front of the wall with the window so they send sound toward the camera. Move the bookshelves in the front left to behind where you sit, along one of the side walls. Then treat as usual:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

Ok thats basically what I had in mind, but can you explain why I would want to leave it open to the hallway? I would get more noise disturbances from outside the room. Oh, and none of that furniture is going to be included. thanks!

It'll work. However, seeing the width of the room and the angled ceilings, you're gonna need lots of absorption. Think fabric covered Owens Corning/Knauf rigid fiberglass panels. 4" thick 703. Here is a simple illustration. Lot's more to add, but for a quick model...it should illustrate the point. Come back when your ready. Oh, btw, this is only my opinion for what it's worth.

Attic space.jpg

It'll work. However, seeing the width of the room and the angled ceilings, you're gonna need lots of absorption. Think fabric covered Owens Corning/Knauf rigid fiberglass panels. 4" thick 703. Here is a simple illustration. Lot's more to add, but for a quick model...it should illustrate the point. Come back when your ready. Oh, btw, this is only my opinion for what it's worth.

View attachment 70950

bummer about the window :o

bummer about the window :o

I always wonder about this. So often, you see huge pro control rooms with a huge window peering into the live room. The board, desk and monitors are always set up right in front of the window so the engineer can see into the live room. I see it all the time where, while they might have bass trapping in corners, a cloud above mix position, absorption on right and left, they can't put any absorption on the window! So how does that work? Isn't that bad - Rear of monitors pointing at window. Do they use a special window that doesn't reflect? I know it's angled, but still...a window is a window, no?

:confused:

can you explain why I would want to leave it open to the hallway? I would get more noise disturbances from outside the room.

You didn't mention noise issues. But acoustically, the longer the room is front to back, the better. The most damaging reflections come from the wall behind you. So when it's farther away the reflections are weaker, and also arrive later.

--Ethan

Don't cover the window. It's not necessary, unless you don't want any natural light.

I wish I had a window in my 'cave' studio. Embrace the window. Reflections from behind monitors is not really an issue. If it were located at a side reflection point, you would have some issues to deal with.

They do? I'd better take a course on speakers! :P

Joking aside, isn't it always strongly recommended to have the whole wall that you are facing be completely covered in absorption material (or at least right in front of the mix position)? So if there were a window there, there's not really a way to do that, unless you cover the window in absorptive material which sort of defeats the window's purpose in the first place...

Back