Building totally portable low cost studio!

COOL! ...and someone to explain the whole thing to my spouse. But since I like sex better than recording, I guess that's out, too...

Boohahaahaaa, now thats funny right there.

I think the camper was a mobile control room, for let's say....runnin a snake into a club etc.

Scott.

cool

the only prob with the idea of having thin absorbant material on light aluminium frames is that light material is not usually very good a stopping sound leakage, so can the light aluminium frames hold heavyer materials without buckling? I prefer to improvise.. still would be nice to have a reliable invention that did a good job, would be expensive though...

Im not sure if this will help or answer any of your questions but this is what I ended up doing after trial and error and figuring it out... Your setup is bigger than mine but what I did to make my studio portable is bought a Onyx 400f so I had enough inputs for a band if I need to. Rack mounted it in a fabric gator case with a compressor and power conditioner. The fabric cases are actually very hard and durable. First I started with a big hard shell case but it was wayyyyy too big and heavy. This is much better and easier to carry. A few speaker stand bags for accessories and mic stands etc. and a laptop. I can get audio however and bring it back home to mix it.

Hey

So my kit is finally ready! got Alesis io26 with Focusrite Octopre LE . . TEsted all my condensers on acoustic guitar the other day.. recorded all of them . . The SP B1's were by far the best . . on guitar anyway . . I was shocked at how bad my AKG D880 which is meant for vocals but always seemed to sound really nice on guitar maybe its damaged . .
I just need to advertise, so will get 1000 flyers and distribute through london. . Wicked!!!

Plus: I was thinking soft cases for my rack mountabler gear they are cheap and good for carrying everything about... There one made by "Gear...."? something (can't remember name can find out though) which is meant for leaving everything plugged in inside and you just put it down and open and its ready to go!!

PPS: Had trouble synching the Alesis io26 with the Focusrite ocotopre any help would be much appreciated . . I'm not used to using adat what order should you switch everything on? I can get the Octopre to be detected by the Alesis but it doesn't want to be on the same sample rate and makes strange sounds like a spring delay after sounds, it sounds horrid...#
Any help would be great . . .

Cool

Not been buying much more gear . . Doin the edit for a film recently sent back the superlux pra 118 L shotgun mic to get it checked out and they sent me the original and a new one? wierd i don't know what they dicovered it was sent to SCV London the distro for Superlux . . .
Need help getting my Octopre LE working with the Alesis io26 got a recording this weekend and still haven't figuerd it out...
made £300 last week from live engineering not bad, with my new super cheap mics lol . . . the Superlux drum mic kit is worth every penny and more its amazing!! I used the tom mics on horn section they sounded great as you would expect good tom mics to be good on instruments . . .

Used Zoom H4n to recod another live gig I did will post up recordings if any one cares . . just took two sub groups off my desk one with vocals the other with everything else so at leas I had some control post . . .

First Band Recording Session With Alesis io26

Ok so I have used it for the first time!!! I was worried as I have had certain instability with the Alesis IO26 but it seems to have ironed itself out? Strange, perhaps I ran a registry cleaner that sorted it out or something?

I have to say it performed very well, I love the Hardware Monitoring software! Very simple and easy to use (this put me off going for the Focusrite Saphire Pro 40 even though it had better routing it looked over complex and heard complaints of rubbish drivers). The best thing about the Alesis HDM (monitoring) software is that it does not forget your set up very easily, you may have spent hours getting everyone's headphone mixes right then closed the software by accident! "OH NO I LOST EVERYTHING!...... But no, you haven't, even if you did not save you configuration everything remains the same and when you re-open the HDM software it all looks the same. I think the names of the channels go back to default but the settings (the important thing) stay rock solid! Even if you turn off our PC it will remember the last setting used so all the mixes remain intact!

I was really impressed with this as I was very worried about the stability of the Alesis IO26, it would be very embarrassing to start a session and keep crashing and having to fiddle with stuff on screen.

As for the sound quality I think it sounds how it looks, subtle, sleek and clean... The pre's don't seem to add much colouration yet bring out a little definition to what ever you running through them, they do not have much gain only 50 db instead of the standard 60. But when do you ever have our gain turned up full on a normal 60 dB gain pot? I know I never do, the chances are you will just be boosting any inherent noise of the mic or sound source connected. I've found that for some of the quieter instruments I've nearly had the gain on max on the Alesis but so what? Its still only 50 dB and they are really quiet sounding pre's (no noise). You can pretty much turn them up max with nothing plugged in and hear no hiss.. (maybe a little)..

The main level knob and mix blend are confusing in that they are digital endless pots, they just keep turning so without having the HDM window open all the time you have no idea of what the main volume is at, this could be seen a big flaw at first but to be honest I have not found it much of a problem.. First off you hear with you ears and feel with you fingers, you don't always need a visual reference, and second you do nearly always have the HDM panel open! You kinda need it there to monitor inputs and adjust headphone mixes for people.. It would have been nice if they had kept to analogue style pots but it obviously was of some technical advantage when designing it so fair enough because it looks and works very nicely indeed..
I have had no use for the blend knob and don't really understand the benefits but I'm sure it will become clear (for over dubs)....

All in all it is the only unit on the market that has the xlr's and faders on top (like a traditional mixer) which is another major reason why I chose it over its competition, for me having a rack mounted interface would be very frustrating not having easy access to the inputs, I use everything on my desk top project studio style. It is very well built I know some minor drops will not damage it its like a small tank.. And for the price the quality is a step up from anything I've used..

Very happy ...

First Session

So this is my Octopre LE and Alesis IO26 in action.. Set up five headphones on three seperate mixes.. Drummer had no drums but lots of bass, guitar and vocal, then I had my own mix and the vocalist, bassist and guitarist shared a mix..

Used 9 mics on the drums! Two on the snare (over and under), two on the Kick (front and back) then one on each remaining sound (three toms, hi hat and cymbals)...
DI'd bass guitar into Focusrite Octopre LE so no spill there..
Moved Guitar into stairwell outside studio room so vocal mic and drum mics would not pick that up..
Vocal just had in same room as drums on SM58 facing away from drums as far a distance away as possible...

Surprised at how little the SM58 picked up drums and even the bit of guitar spilling into the room from stairwell!

Biggest problem with this recording is the pre sets the guitarist used, I found some of the to be harsh and way to much in mids and treble, but without having complete controll over his presets there is not much I can do, I did work with him on the a bit but you have to give people their creative space. Its also hard to hear exactly how things sound when listening through headphones.

Pretty happy with results.. Will upload soon...

Attachments

• 18122009330.jpg
    18122009330.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 18122009331.jpg
    18122009331.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 18122009335.jpg
    18122009335.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 18122009340.jpg
    18122009340.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 28
Put two mics on guitar amp.. One SM58 (with I used Behringer XM8500 the SM58 is little harsh not enough bass)...
And one Studio Projects B1 far away for some reverb. . .
Over all sound is good but some of it is to harsh which was mainly pre sets . ..

Attachments

• 18122009336.jpg
    18122009336.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 27
  • 18122009338.jpg
    18122009338.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 18122009341.jpg
    18122009341.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 26
this is the other kick drum mic.. Really needed this to get the slap otherwise would have just been a boom...

Attachments

• 18122009332.jpg
    18122009332.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 28
Back