Building a Studio... I need help!

Viper100fm

Hey guys!

I have been recording in my bedroom for about a year in a half now. I use a really old M-Audio preamp. That goes into my computer via USB and then into Logic Pro X. I am finding I really want to spend some money and make my studio into something that I can start doing some semi professional recordings in.

I am looking into building a small rack. I am looking at a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 for a preamp. I have heard good thing about Focusrite and they are in my budget. I also am looking for a rack mount compressor and a rack mount eq. Do you guys have any suggestions on what I should look into for those?

Also, my last question is about a preamp. On the Focusright, most of the inputs are on the back. I saw a video of a studio and the man had a rack mount unit that had a bunch of inputs on it and it connected to the back of his preamps so he didn't have to reach around to the back every time he needed more than two channels. What is that called? I would really love to know. I have been looking and I cannot seem to find what it is.

Thanks in advance! :) I'm looking forward to seeing your answers. :thumbs up:

The Focusrite (and your old M-Audio) are audio interfaces. Preamps are the device in them that boost the incoming signal's (usually a microphone) level.
The rack mount unit you are looking for to make plugging in stuff easier is called a patchbay.

Why are you looking for a rackmount compressor and EQ? Why not just go with plug-ins to get started?

Why are you looking for a rackmount compressor and EQ? Why not just go with plug-ins to get started?

^^I agree with this^^ ...there's really no need for a rackmount EQ for recording...like ever! A nice outboard compressor can be of use eventually, but I would wait until you get your feet wet first. Decent ones are NOT cheap. There are plenty of good (and free!) plugins that will allow you to do what you're wanting...plus they allow you to change settings in the post-production stage, so you're not stuck in case you find that you don't like the compressor settings (which you may already know if you've been recording for a while). Once you're more comfortable with the process, and once you feel like your setup is essentially complete, then start adding other pieces of hardware to "color" your tone.

Back