Building a soundproof drum booth. Need help!

Sean Conway

Hello, I am just starting my research for building a soundproof drum room in my garage. This will be a room within a room leaving a few inches between the inner wall of the garage and the outer wall of the drum booth. I'm not 100% sure how big the room is going to be yet I'm just trying to find out how best to make the walls. Would anyone know the best method for constructing the soundproof walls? i.e. What materials to use, should the floor be raised up also? Has anyone done this with good or bad results?

To answer one question, you'll never get it sound-proofed. And if you do, you won't be able to spend more than a minute in there if you enjoy breathing.

To answer your general question about a drum booth, I have to ask.....why?

I know its not going to be 100% soundproof, soundproofing is just the general term for noise reduction. I do also intend to have ventilation for the room. I main reason why I want to room is so I will not be bothering anyone while I play and it will be a nice clean space for recording.

Fair enough about the noise reduction.

But, in my opinion, you'll be trading off bothering people a little less for a worse recording environment for your drums. Generally speaking, you want to track in a big room, not a small box.

The first step would be to decide how much isolation you actually NEED, and design a plan that gives you that isolation level. Shooting in the dark with it won't give you great results. If you haven't picked up a copy yet, check out Rod Gervais' book, "Home Recording Studio: Build it Like the Pros" - a lot of the book is geared towards isolation and has tons of construction diagrams with many what to and not to dos.

Back