Building a small room...

BamBamm

I am building a small room with acoustic panels to record audio and send it to my sound tech.
Anything special I should know? This room will be small, about 4'x4' and I think I need some sort of window to avoid feeling closed in.
I will put a light on the ceiling, but the switch will be outside of the room.

The room will only be used to record spoken audio, nothing else...

The room size ratio will be the biggest problem, a square room is the worst shape you can use, and what is the ceiling height?

Alan.

Ceiling is 8 foot high.
Room is set up right now as 32"Width, 48"Long, 96"H.
I can change the width and legth and even the heigth if needed.
As I said, a small room in my basement.

Thank you for the reply!

Ceiling is 8 foot high.
Room is set up right now as 32"Width, 48"Long, 96"H.
I can change the width and legth and even the heigth if needed.
As I said, a small room in my basement.

Thank you for the reply!

Thats a very small room, how much larger can you make it?

Alan.

What's it sound like when you speak in there? Probably very 'boxy' - because you're in a box. People doing voice-overs will sometimes construct a 'vocal booth', by lining a closet-size area with acoustic trapping (bass traps, foam). The results can be good ... or not.

What's it sound like when you speak in there? Probably very 'boxy' - because you're in a box. People doing voice-overs will sometimes construct a 'vocal booth', by lining a closet-size area with acoustic trapping (bass traps, foam). The results can be good ... or not.

I was/am going to place Insulation Board in the walls and above the ceiling, Bass Traps in the corners and along the small wood shelf with the mic, line the interior walls and ceiling with Acoustic Panels, add some Acoustic Diffusers onto the ceiling. There will be no "flat" surface...

Would an octagon room be better?
My wife is even suggesting bowing the roof like an opera house...

8 x 6 should be a good size for a booth to do voice work, don't make the inside too dead as this makes it sound boxy. A couple of non parallel walls will help and also make sure that you tame the back wall and do some acoustic panel work on the side walls around head hight. You will probably only need smallish bass traps if you only intend to record voice in there and if space is a problem they can be placed in the corners where the ceiling meets the walls. The ceiling I would keep simple with a ceiling cloud, the floor I would make a hard surface, if the hard floor need taming a little later it's easy to put a small rug in there.

Alan.

Back