Building Room in Garage need cost advice

joswil44

I am planning to build a room in my Detached Garage for mixing.

I am trying to get the ball rolling but cost is a factor at the moment.

I have about $600 for materials and will be doing the labor myself.

Its either going to be 12'x16' or 8'x12' depending on what my cost factor is.

I am planning to stagger the wall studs on a 2x6 plate so the drywall on the inside and outside are not mounted to the same studs. Essentially there will be an air space between the studs and sheetrock.

I will do a single layer of 5/8" sheetrock on the outside and a double layer of 1/2" and 5/8" sheetrock on the inside.

Floated Floor.

Basic Ceiling.

The problem I am running into is the cost of insulation.

I was assuming I should use OC 703 for Insulation.

OC 703 seems to run around $12 per 2x4' 2" sheet.

I am guessing I will need somewhere around 56 2x4 panels which is around $600 just for insulation.

I am close to $600 without the Insulation in material already.

So with the 703 puts me around $1200.

Should I build everything and wait to put the insulation and outside sheetrock in until I can afford to buy the insulation?

Or should I use another form of insulation that is cheaper?

My garage has an office which I use as a Live Room for drums etc.

The new room will be freestanding within the garage and if I don't insulate the room now I can at least get going and use it but I will hear the drums more while tracking.

But as far as mixing goes, should I be ok as long as I build the rest and do some sound treatment?

Part of the reason the new room is freestanding is that it will be dissassembled and removed from the garage if I ever move. So I don't have any options of using existing walls or ceilings.

I have attached a drawing of what I am planning to build for the garage.

Attachments

• Garage1.jpg
    Garage1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 216
With all of that in Mind....

I looked up STC's and what I have in mind with no insulation looks pretty decent around and STC of 50. http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/

The drum noise coming from the office will partly go through the walls outside and partly go inside the large garage area surrounding my future mixing room.

Will I be better protected in the Mixing Room because of the sound trying to escape out of the garage quicker than trying to enter my Mixing Room?

Should I be fine without insulation?

Also with insulation it doesn't need to be 703, it can just be the cheapie stuff you put in a loft. 703 would probably be a little better, but not enough for the price. When we talk of rigid fiberglass or 703, it's for absorption panels for the acoustics of the room, not the isolation.

Yeah I get that mostly you would use the 703 for absorbtion and such.

I just recall other discussions where it was used in sound proofing and thought it was the best way to go.

But I have been looking at cheap insulation and it appears to be kinda pricey as well.

I am still wondering if I am fine without it.

Maybe adding a layer of particle board between the 2 inner Drywall sheets would be cheaper than insulation and make up some STC Difference.

You know,
Drums are about 100 to 110 dbs. If you are mainly just concerned with being able to mix in the room,you can get away with your design and standard insulation because you wont be tracking drums while you are mixing.
To silence the drums,you will need a bunch of mass and no windows, plus an equally heavy ceiling and thick solid core doors to silence drums completely. It helps if they are in another room plus some airspace before your tracking room.

You may want to build to suit what you are going to use the room for 90 percent of the time because to tame 100 or so dbs is gonna cost you.

I have just built a studio with vocal booth, drum room and control room / live room with double walls - double doors /soundlocks/ double 5/8ths sheetrock walls and seperate ceilings totally caulked airtight with double 3/8th glass and the whole nine yards and I can still hear some drums. I spent over $30k. with acoustic panels and all.

My experiance anyway.

Tom

Back