Building a recording booth in walk-in closet for voice over work

drcane

New here. I'm just beginning to get into some voice over work. Didn't want to spend a load of cash on my initial setup. I do have a nice rectangular walk-in closet that I've seen others use to much success. I did a quick test recording and I think it's a good start. Definitely hearing some echo. Here's a link to take a listen. https://soundcloud.com/drcane/closet-test

I know I should put some foam on the door and one section of wall to the right of the mic. Here's some pics of the space with the mic.

Closet left: iBpB2oa.jpg
Closet behind: WWBZQGE.jpg
Closet front: kPlb3XV.jpg

Any tips on what I should get exactly on a budget?

I have a bunch of these garage floor mats. Was thinking of wrapping them in a heavy blanket then attaching them to the wall. Anti-Fatigue Foam Mat Set 4 Pc

50 bucks for this pack of 12 foam squares wouldn't be too bad and should cover both areas well. Amazon.com: Silverback Sound Dampening Foam, 2 Inch Thick, 1ft x 1ft, 12 Pack: Musical Instruments

Should I wrap the immediate area in front of the mic with foam? The scarfs seem to dampen the sound pretty well already..

Thanks!

Drcane,
Save your money and forego the "foam". You need sound absorption. So save your money and do a proper acoustic treatment. The closet booth was my original recording studio too, so I understand 'it'll have to do until....." For ideas of what is possible, watch the video in the "Hearing is Believing" thread that DM60 posted.

I would suggest you turn the mic stand around, with the back of the mic toward the door (it will reject signals - the mic looks like a ST-51 which is cardioid pattern), and record facing outwards of the closet. Let the clothes absorb the reflection to the sides and behind you (front of mic). You could also purchase some cheap, heavy moving blankets to hang pleated like a curtain, to the sides and behind you, or add more clothes to the closet. Harbor Freight has cheap blankets and Home Depot's are reasonable.
Dale

Last edited:
Drcane,

I would suggest you turn the mic stand around, with the back of the mic toward the door (it will reject signals - the mic looks like a ST-51 which is cardioid pattern), and record facing outwards of the closet. Let the clothes absorb the reflection to the sides and behind you (front of mic). You could also purchase some cheap, heavy moving blankets to hang pleated like a curtain, to the sides and behind you, or add more clothes to the closet. Harbor Freight has cheap blankets and Home Depot's are reasonable.
Dale

The mic is a sE Electronics sE2200a II C. When turning the mic around, should i be pretty close to the door? (a foot away). I assume I should blanket the entire wall with the door as well.

Good call on the Harbor Freight blankets, those are cheap.

Try to get away from the door. The farther away from that backstop/reflector, the better. If you have an extra moving blanket to pleat and hang in front of the door, it would help absorb a little. When I used my closet as a booth, I usually left the door opened behind me. But you may have extra noises in your home that you are trying to eliminate, that I did not. Mind you, the moving blanket trick is only a bandaid remedy for proper acoustic treatment. But it got me through, until I could upgrade my recording space. From the closet, I built a foldable set of GoBo walls of Owens Corning 703.
Dale

If you record with your back to the cloths hanging up, you may not need any further treatment.

alan.

Hung up the moving blankets and turned the mic around. I think this should be enough for what I need.

XKd3sj8.jpg
LTe6gbT.jpg
f6yUXMF.jpg

Noticed a slight improvement on the test recording. What do you guys think? My ears are not that great, maybe it sounds the same. https://soundcloud.com/drcane/closet-test-v2

Maybe I'll try moving the mic around to see if it's better in another location.

Drcane,
I can't give you a fair critique because the clips you posted are so brief (you have to listen fast), and I just tore down my editing room for a makeover. I had to listen through headphones instead of my monitors, which are unhooked. It did seem to have a bit more isolation and up-front, to your second recording in my quick listen through cans.

Since you have a better reference for the before and after, if you think it sounds better, then it is better. Yes- Experiment.... You have nothing but knowledge to gain from the results... What a great trade off.

Have fun recording. I hope to hear your VO work soon.
Dale

Last edited:
I'm not hearing any 'room sound' in your sample, but like Dale said, its kind of short for any real subjective claim of 'being better'.

Ah sorry. Here's a couple radio ads I just recorded. I think I'm hearing some light crackle. You guys hear that?

DrCane,

I couldn't hear any crackle. However, what I think you are hearing is mouth noise. You are taking many breaths during your phrasing, which will dry out your mouth. Try breathing from the diaphragm and practicing breath control, like a singer. Also, be well hydrated (room temp water, early) before you record, and sip to maintain the moisture, while recording.
Dale

Cool, and thanks for the tips. I'm about to finish my beginners class so I'm sure I'll be getting into better breath control soon.

Back