Building a new budget studio from start to clients...

figmentno9

Well after years of watching as many youtube videos as possible, stalking this forum, and a lot of trials and errors (still making those) I opened a small studio here in Ohio. I couldn't pass it up when I found a space as big as a three car garage for only $200 a month. The downsides are 1. There are mechanics on both sides in this building, 2. it's directly next to train tracks!! Ideal? um, uh, NO! But it's worked so far and clients have liked it so far.
Here are some before and during pics...
One thing I wanted to ask, and I've looked everywhere for this. I'm going to build amp iso boxes or a small iso room soon. Mdf or drywall? Can't seem to find the answer. Thanks.
The studio's name is Refried Audio

Before 1.jpgBefore 2.jpgDancin Wood.jpgIMAG0394.jpgIMAG0396.jpgIMAG0401.jpgIMAG0402.jpgThe wall.jpg

In the tracking room I created amp separation using some cubicles that someone gave me. I built some hanging "clouds" over the drums and I always put a couple cubicles behind the kit when I record. The control room has gone through a few changes. It's taken some time to decide what gear I wanted to stick with. I finally decided to record with Studio One and use the bcf and bcr 2000 as controllers. The red velvet box is my electronic rig for ableton live. I use that now in the tracking room with a separate system for electronic music and any synth work. Hope you guys like it...
IMAG0055.jpg

I'll post some updated pics soon. Here's a recording from one client. They tracked everything together and did vocals separate.

Use Drywall for the iso amp boxes. Mass is what you need and gypsum mass is cheaper than MDF mass. ;)
Cheers,
John

If you're ever feeling saucy, I used to have that same desk (WARNING: "Back in the day, Room D" shot follows) and you have an old 6-space rack and a 30/60/90 traingle...

stacks_image_97.jpg

You have to think ahead on depth and what not -- Make the racks first (tearing a 45/45/90 out of a rack basically and now you have two) --- Cleans things up nicely. I'll see if I can find a better shot somewhere...

(EDIT) Found 'em --

Angle Shot of MASSIVE Mastering.jpg
DeskPanorama.jpg

The drawback of course, is that you lose basically any flat surface area. That said, you could do one side. But there is an amount of awesomeness from the access to the units in those angled spaces...

It's been a LONG time since I posted anything here. Sorry. Here's an update on my studio. It's still going!!! It's been just over two years since I started this thing and it has been incredible! I have changed things around so many times since I started. I've over doubled in size and have added a lot of new things. I have to say this has been a great adventure! I started this thing with a handful of gear and a few hundred dollars. I've let the place take care of itself. I went into this with philosophy that, if it wasn't able to maintain itself than I'm doing something wrong. I really don't care if I don't make any profit. I just want this place to exist so people have an affordable place to rehearse and record. Here's where I'm at now.
I'm upgrading to a Behringer x32 in July so my desk will change then.
IMAG0228.jpgsynth 3-2015.jpgtracking 2 3-2015.jpgtracking 3-2015.jpgcontrol room 3-2015.jpg

Hey, that's my old sectional sofa in the first pic - did you get it on the side of the road in Massachusetts? :D Nice piano. BIG cat!

It's been a LONG time since I posted anything here. Sorry. Here's an update on my studio. It's still going!!!

I was wondering if you had some long-term arrangement on the rental space to make you feel comfortable investing the time/effort/money to turn it into a studio...?

Also...besides the "fun", which no doubt is a big factor...do you find it profitable at all, or is it more of a I-break-even-but-it's better-than-working-elsewhere kind of situation...?

surely you have to make some money just to keep it open and running? it's a great looking place, looks quite big from the photos and love the cat.

Back