building my first studio!!!

WeldPhaser

hey people,

so over the past 3-4months ive accumulated all my components for my home studio. I live with my wifes uncle, and we made a lot of room in the basement , and that's where i'm going to put my spot.

I'm a carpenter by trade so i have got of bunch of spare wood from work, i.e plywood , mostly 5/8", 1x3's 2x4's 2x6's, and i think i have a couple 4-5 feet 2x12" i can go about 8-9ft out 7-9ft across, and the ceiling is 7". what do you guys suggest for a room size? i'm going to make shelves up high for my krk rokit 5's , i have a computer chair and a stool in there, so my desk height is around regular table height. that;s holding my laptop and the focusrite 2i4 2nd gen. , and a launchkeymini . now I also have a fender frontman 60 bass amp , and the marshal valvestate vs65r.

does it help with sound proofing if i double up the drywall and criss/cross it? I'm gonna get foam pads also.
idk kinda in the dark here but im trying anyone have any tips i'd apprciate it

I'd use a room mode calculator (like this one) and try to select the finished room dimensions that keep you in the "bolt area" and build from there.

Skip the foam. If you're in a concrete block wall basement, you can finish the walls or not, IMO. It's better to build decent treatment panels for the walls and (bass traps for) corners using dense material (Roxul Rockboard or Safe'n'Sound batts are what I'm familiar with, but there are others). Plenty of instructions on YouTube and some of us have built our own as well.

If you have to build walls, e.g., to try and keep some sound down in the basement, use the same heavier batting for those - double thickness if you can afford the cost and room size impact.

That 7' ceiling is going to be hard to fix, but the same heavy batting behind whatever tiling is already there, or use acoustic tiles perhaps.

Good luck.

Your maximum size could be 9 ft square? Square is not good, so 7'x9' would be better, but since you have 7' ceiling ... What do you plan do do in this room? Just mix, track? (if so, what?) that's a pretty tiny room overall, if any 'soundproofing/wall construction have to come out of those dimensions, its even smaller. With a small room, you are fighting nodes everywhere, with little space to try to fix with bass traps.

Back