Building bass traps, shopping list.

DSCF0002.jpg

All this, plus the superchunks I already put in the corners, along with the 8 bass traps I'm building now should make a nice difference.

Hey I've got that same "guitar scales" poster in my room too! :laughings:

Yeah dude, 8 new traps should seriously make a difference! Cool.

That hook looks like it's going to rip the ceiling out, but it's not. The tiles are some kid of cardboard, but I was in a beam.

Note to self: Do not let Rami anywhere near any home remodeling projects. :p

Just kidding homeslice. Looks fine.

What kind of fabric is that? Looks kind of dense. That might not be a good thing. I think you should generally be able to breath through it with no resistance, but don't hold me to that..

Note to self: Do not let Rami anywhere near any home remodeling projects. :p
:D You're right. I'm horrible. Whenever I move into a new place, my idea of major home renovation is hammering a nail in the wall by the door so I can hang my keys.:eek:

What kind of fabric is that? Looks kind of dense. That might not be a good thing. I think you should generally be able to breath through it with no resistance, but don't hold me to that..

Yeah, I easily breathe through. It's actually very thin. Might look thick because it's shiny.

I'll get better at it with each one I make. The biggest bitch was hanging it. Trying to get it fluch in the upper corner was a bitch.

Got 6 traps made and hung up so far. I'll take pics later. I wish I could go back and re-do the first one, because they're getting easier to make properly with each one I make.

I don't really care how it sounds, what I like is how cool they LOOK. :D

Done. I have 2 extra traps that I'll probably just move around depending on what I'm recording.

1.jpg

5.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

10.jpg

And these are the 2 extra traps....I went red. :D

9.jpg

Jesus those pictures are HUGE!!!!!!!

I have no idea how that happened.

You should have some nice coverage in there now dude. I had some suggestions but I'm a couple of days late :p looks like it all worked out in the end :D

You should have some nice coverage in there now dude. I had some suggestions but I'm a couple of days late :p looks like it all worked out in the end :D

Thanx man. I probably could have used some of your suggestions. I learned as I went along, and now I wish I could go back and re-build the first 3 or 4. By the time I got to the 8th one, they were solid enough and looked good enough to sell. :D

My biggest problem was finding beems in the wall and ceiling that would allow me to hang them where I wanted.

Thanx man. I probably could have used some of your suggestions. I learned as I went along, and now I wish I could go back and re-build the first 3 or 4. By the time I got to the 8th one, they were solid enough and looked good enough to sell. :D

My biggest problem was finding beems in the wall and ceiling that would allow me to hang them where I wanted.

I have some hanging from the ceiling, some from the walls, most are free standing. Built 2 big Superchunk triangles floor to ceiling on one side and then some Gobos for the other side that stand up on their own. Tools are the major factor in the end result I think - lots of saws and air tools and stuff make it WAY easy.

Looks like your studio has a wet bar - I am now officially jealous...

:D

I have some hanging from the ceiling, some from the walls, most are free standing. Built 2 big Superchunk triangles floor to ceiling on one side and then some Gobos for the other side that stand up on their own. Tools are the major factor in the end result I think - lots of saws and air tools and stuff make it WAY easy.

Looks like your studio has a wet bar - I am now officially jealous...

:D
hehe...Yeah, that's my bar/kitchen. It's a nice thing to have, but it also screws me up symmetry-wise. I have to center myself from one wall to where the bar starts, as opposed to the wall inside the bar, which is where my bass traps would go if the bar wasn't in the way.

I also have a bunch of free-standing "acoustic panels" like this: WOOD FIBER ACOUSTIC PANEL Manufacturers - WOOD FIBER ACOUSTIC PANEL Exporters and Wholesalers - China Suppliers I know they're probably almost useless, but they hopefully do some mid-range absorbing or something. I've asked about them a few times here but never got a response.

I've heard your stuff, I don't think you have anything to worry about :)

I just started taking voice lessons, had my third one today - I think it's gonna help me big time.

I need a trust fund so I can just dick around in the studio all day...

I've heard your stuff, I don't think you have anything to worry about :)
Thanx man. I always feel like there's still something missing. Hey, wasn't I supposed to upload some music to your site? I forgot all about that. Damn. Sorry about that.

I just started taking voice lessons, had my third one today - I think it's gonna help me big time.
It's definitely going to help. I took voice lessons years ago, but I had to stop because she could only do it Sunday morning and I was gigging every weekend at the time and showing up for my lesson on 2-3 hours sleep. I have regrets about stopping though.

I need a trust fund so I can just dick around in the studio all day...

I hear you brother. :cool:

Ok, now time to get back to making music instead of bass traps. I've put off recording for a long time while getting all this together.

RAMI,
Well done on the DIY. I'm super unhandy so always worry about making a mess of the job & wasting the materials in doing so. I like the shot of your cover band hat in one snap.
Your mix always sound superb so I expect, when you've adjusted to the changes in the room, the newer ones with be triumphant.
The attachment & MP3 things really have gone to the dogs on HR. Time some energy was spent to avoid everyone else wasting time, speace, & sweat on a problems that we only doscover when we try it. I'm sure the system knows about it.
Aren't you about due for an album?
Hello Gorty!
Greg, nice set up - but with your ears I'm sure you're compelled to sort out your space.

RAMI,
Well done on the DIY. I'm super unhandy so always worry about making a mess of the job & wasting the materials in doing so. I like the shot of your cover band hat in one snap.
Your mix always sound superb so I expect, when you've adjusted to the changes in the room, the newer ones with be triumphant.
The attachment & MP3 things really have gone to the dogs on HR. Time some energy was spent to avoid everyone else wasting time, speace, & sweat on a problems that we only doscover when we try it. I'm sure the system knows about it.
Aren't you about due for an album?
Hello Gorty!
Greg, nice set up - but with your ears I'm sure you're compelled to sort out your space.
Thanx Ray. I put off making these things for the same reason as you. I'm extremely un-handy. I just took my time with the important stuff, like measuring the wood cuts. The other stuff, I figured if I got it wrong, I can start over.

Another reason I put off making these is because I was always under the impression that it was way more expensive than it was. When I looked in catalogues for insulation and saw a bag of insulation going for $40 (for example), I thought that was the price of 1 panel. Then, I realized that you get 8 panels in there. :D

I'm close to having enough songs for another CD soon. I have 4 songs just waiting for me to do vocals on. I also want to re-do the vocals on a few of the songs I've done recently.

As far as the attachments problem is concerned, I agree. It's a pathetic joke of a situation. It's not as if it's only been a problem for a week or so. We're talking months and maybe even more than a year.

I love the people on this site, but it's always been mis-managed. Dragon was useless, and now there's always something stupid going on, whether it's the site hanging up for 5 minutes from time to time or attachments not working, etc.....

Whatever, it's better than no internet at all. :)

Yeah, I easily breathe through. It's actually very thin. Might look thick because it's shiny.

I always thought you wanted the fabric to be non-breathable, not for any acoustic purposes but because it helped keep the particles from the insulation inside?

Back