[Budgetless] I need a recording studio that can control both sides of the booth. I wa

Condensed

I don't have a set budget, but I will strive to get what I need to get. It is a 27x14 room with really tall ceilings. If it is too small? I can find another room, but if this is so, please specify acceptable room sizes. I would like a really small/medium console that can be controlled on the opposite side or something that would not need a sound engineer? Feel free to put anything i might need for a recording studio. I plan on doing mostly hip hop, but I would like versatility, so that let's say I could record other genres as well. I also want to record a few instruments too, I could settle for edrums though. I would also need to sound proof/dampen so I am not sure that room will be big enough but I'll give it a shot because i am kind of ignorant on this stuff. I can be a quick learner, but I might start off small though, but I kind of wish i could do full wall acoustic treatment rather than panels, but thank you for reading this, and have a nice day :).

Not really sure what you are asking about...acoustic treatment or console?

Not sure how you mean "control from both sides"? I guess you're thinking of a separate control room/live room setup.
I've not heard of any consoles that you can control from the live room while the console is in the control room.
I mean...it's a console...it requires you to move the buttons and faders, so you have to be at the console.

AFA acoustic treatment...there's a big difference between soundproofing and acoustic treatment. They are actually two different things, and suffice it to say, true soundproofing is probably beyond the typical home rec studio budget. Of course, if you need to simply cut down some of the sound, it's doable... but it depends on your situation.

Otherwise...the room size is pretty good, so no problem there.
You might consider leaving it all one big open space, and then the console thing is moot, since you will be in the same room.

Start with some reading. 'Console' - this is for live mixing of the audio that is being recorded (and being played back), sending it to separate computer or tape tracks. Good ones (look up 'Neve') are expensive. Most non-pro studios these days are doing everything "in the box" - in the computer.
With a room that size, I wouldn't divide it up to have a live room and a control room.

If you are dead set on a mixing console, which is pretty pointless when recording to computer, you will need a digital one, like a Behringer x32. You can set most digital consoles up so that you can control them from an iPad as you walk around the space.

But again, a mixing board is a waste of money and space unless you need to mix a lot of instruments playing all at once. If you are recording a few tracks at a time, it is a pointless waste.

If you are dead set on a mixing console, which is pretty pointless when recording to computer, you will need a digital one, like a Behringer x32. You can set most digital consoles up so that you can control them from an iPad as you walk around the space.

But again, a mixing board is a waste of money and space unless you need to mix a lot of instruments playing all at once. If you are recording a few tracks at a time, it is a pointless waste.

Why do you say he needs a digital console...?
Sure...that works, but so does an analog console, and then you go through a multi-channel converter into the DAW.

I agree that for a couple of tracks at a time, you don't *need* a console of any kind....but with lots of players, it certainly helps a lot, and if you mix back out of the DAW it can have a major use. I also find a console makes cue mixes during tracking for multiple players a breeze to achieve, plus if you have/use outboard processing, you can set up some nice "pre-mixes" with a console during tracking.
Not as simple to do with many tracks, many players, using just your interfaces and some headphone amp distro

That said...I do think the OP has to maybe think about what exactly he plans on doing, and not to start buying equipment based on something he saw in a magazine or at some pro studio, as that may be overkill for his use...but I think there are very valid uses for a console even if you use a DAW. Not saying it's a must-have, but I wouldn't call it pointless, unless your individual setup and preferences make it pointless. ;)

I mean...we shouldn't make assumptions that ITB is the only game in town and the way everyone will prefer working. :)

I said that if he wants to control it from the other side of the room, he needs a digital console, because those are the ones that can be controlled by an iPad from the other side of the room.

Then I went on to tell him that he really doesn't need a console at all.

Sorry...I missed the iPad comment....my bad.

I was mainly focused on the "pointless waste" comment, which I don't agree with, unless someone specifically says they want to work ITB, in which case, a console becomes just furniture...but other than that, there are many great hybrid rigs out there that makes full use of consoles and DAWs.

That said...seeing how the OP is "budgetless"...this entire conversation is probably a pointless waste! :D

I used to have a hybrid system, but I would have to record 24 tracks at once, wile providing 6 different headphone mixes to 3 different rooms. He is doing hip hop in one room... he says that he may want to start doing other genres with live instruments, but I'm guessing it won't be a swing band, or anything that needs more than 8 tracks at once...

Back