boominess

Kingofpain678

Returned from the dead
im not sure where to post this, guitars and basses? digital recording? idk.

when monitoring my guitar tone the sound i get is REALLY REALLY boomy. i have cut down 60 and 160 hz alot and its still really boomy.

could this be that my room isnt properly treated or is it my guitar?

im using a crappy dean vendetta with a crappy paulownia body. im not sure if that matters (i have heard aot of people say that some guitars are really boomy on certain notes.)

oh by the way. i AM a COMPLETE newbie idiot.
:(

i dont know the very first thing about acoustics... well except for that my room sucks.

EDIT: sorry for the one sided conversation :P
but heres the .wav file that im listening to. i have two versions - one unprocessed and one eq'd. for the eq'd track i cut 20hz through 100hz down 10db, 125hz cut 6db, 160hz cut 4db, 800hz cut 10db, 8k cut 2db, and 10k through 20k cut 10db.

Processed .wav file

Unprocessed .wav file

can someone with a treated room check these out and tell me if they are too boomy? (the tone and playing sucks, i know) and btw this is a metal riff.

Last edited:
That's a very common problem with guitar in a small-ish space. Could be gear related though. So, what's the size of the room and the recording chain?

Frank

size of the room is 15'4" x 14'7"

my signal is this line 6 head/marshall cab > mic> mixing board> interface.

i have also tried putting a 31 band eq and compressor between the mixing board and interface. the compressor didnt really do much but like i said when i eq the crap out of it, it starts to lose its boominess.

but i would rather not have to drastically eq everytime i track guitars, i just wanna fix the problem at the source.

EDIT: i also PMed another member who usually helps me with all my questions and he said "it has a pronounced boominess at about 122 Hz"

i also found this

the boominess only happens when i play C, C#, and D notes.

4" panels man...that's probably the easiest way to fix the problem. If you're tracking in the same room you're listening in you need to treat it anyhow. Is the room completely untreated?

Marshall cab...2x10?

Frank

By 4" panels, he means OC703 or similar, rigid fiberglass DIY bass traps. You can make them yourself for about $30 ea or so framed and wrapped in whatever fabric. Put them in the corners of your room and other strategic locations to soak up reflections and resonant frequencies, which are in the 100-200Hz range for most typical sized home studio rooms.

By 4" panels, he means OC703 or similar, rigid fiberglass DIY bass traps. You can make them yourself for about $30 ea or so framed and wrapped in whatever fabric. Put them in the corners of your room and other strategic locations to soak up reflections and resonant frequencies, which are in the 100-200Hz range for most typical sized home studio rooms.

Yep...perfect! :)

Frank

Back