..in which bookcases go legit

dyermaker8

Small room, 13x11x7,. need the storage space so didn't want to lose the 2 freestanding RTA bookcases already in the room. Decided to modify the shelves for dimension, and the back for porting. Essentialy turning part of the bookcase into a basstrap frame, the cases will now present a 24"H x 18"W x 13"D shelf space filled with insulation and covered, at the 2 side 1st reflection points. 1"+ gap behind case. And i still get to use the shelves above and below the traps! Also planning on putting traps above the cases where the ceiling and wall meet.

Anybody see any big issues with this?

Anybody wanna see pics?

I'm attempting to do some weird methods for framing the rest of my traps. Its going to involve wire and hot glue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If the interest is there I might do some build post for that as well.

All right then,. watcha gotta do here is getcha some scrap wood for shelf supports,. the shelves and sides of the bookcase are both screwed to the supports so that all parts provide bracing. Make sure the backing of the bookcase is attached to the shelves in the back before cutting out the big port hole in the back(used a jigsaw for that job, whatever works),. all holes for screws are predrilled to prevent anything splitting.

IMG_20150927_234846.jpg

Stuff it,. I went with roxul afb ,. cause I got it free yo.

IMG_20150927_235029.jpg

Cover it,. I used some dyed burlap. cut out piece oversized an inch or so either way. edges doubled over. Hot glued on. Starting in one corner and then to the opposite side rotating clockwise,. like tuning a drumhead but not quite as tight,.lol.

IMG_20150927_234406.jpg

Trim it up with a little quarter round or what ever and bam,.

IMG_20150927_235508.jpg

Taller/wider would be better,. gotta start somewhere though.

Plenty thick enough, but not a lot of surface area. Good idea, though, when you're strapped for space/storage.

Plenty thick enough, but not a lot of surface area. Good idea, though, when you're strapped for space/storage.

True, I did run the numbers , then promply threw them out and eyeballed it, so I'm pretty sure they are aligned correctly for the sitting mix postion. The rooms getting a full treatment though so i'm not to worried about it. I'll proobably just use this thread to post the entire build out. I'm planning on doing 2 front corner traps,. 6 wall panels , a cloud , a slot resonator , and some foam for good measure. And i'm going to attempt making most of the frames with either saftey wire and/or dowel rods,.lol ,. too much fun.

The way I see it is, the more the merrier. If you aren't symmetrical though, things might get weird. But yeah, if you can convert pieces of furniture, go for it. You can fill that sucker up with different size books to act as a diffusor too, above and below. I think ultimately, you'll want to put that shelf on the back wall centered, versus trying to use it as a first reflection panel. Good job, it turned out looking great, especially with the trim.

Back