Better than Owens Corning?

ThaArtist

Roxul AFB mineral wool. Ive heard of people using mineral wool but everyone still seems to just go with OC. Why is that? Must be better?

I noticed that atsacoustics.com now uses the Roxul Mineral Wool in their panels instead of Owens Corning 703 which is what they used last time I bought panels from them.

Whats the deal?

ATSAcoustics.com 4" bass traps:
http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--ATS-Acoustic-Panel-24x48x4--1008.html

AcoustiMac.com 4" Bass Trap (Not Mega Trap):
http://www.acoustimac.com/index.php...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=29

The NRC is higher for the Roxul AFB Mineral Wool but the values change for difference in frequencies on both sites versus.

Which do you think is better for bass trapping? The mineral is significantly cheaper... cheaper... cheaper...

The majority of my studio is treated with mineral wool. It is alot easier to find, but beware, there are different densities of mineral wool- the denser the better. I think its a little cheaper too.

For anyone looking, find your local commercial metal stud and drywall dealer and they'll almost definitely have this stuff in stock. Rock wool is VERY commonly used in commercial construction.

Anyway, you're right most common advise says to use the 703. I looked at the specs long ago (I built my treatments about 5 years ago), and I recall slight differences, but I couldn't really elaborate beyond that. The 703 is easier to work with in my opinion- rockwool is slightly crumbly, especially if its handled more than necessary.

The Roxul R60 "rockboard" has almost the same specs as the OC703 and is sold for about half the price.

Im still kind of in between what Im going to purchase though because I hear alot of horror stories from people using mineral wool and ending up with fibers in there eyes lungs and equipment.... I think they were using the "safe n sound" or some kind of more crumbly less dense variation.

All that stuff sucks to work with as far as being an itchy mess when you're finished. I used a little heavier fabric called "duck cloth" over most of mine. Its like a light weight canvas. Those treatments have been in place for 5 years now, and no problems with errant fibers or anything. also, I've heard of people putting a very thin 2mil poly (clear sheet plastic like what painters use) between the mineral wool and the fabric. Its my understanding that this will slightly decrease effectiveness, but have essentially no negative effect on low end absorption (the important part).

Back