best way to use and treat my two room studio

jpenns

I'm currently taking over two bedrooms to turn into a studio of sorts, except I can't do anything TOO permanent. Here's a diagram.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3904767/Home Studio.png

The bigger room is 10 x 16, and the smaller room is 10 x 13, with that 2ft deep closet making it even smaller. The ceilings are parallel to the floor, 8.5 ft high.

I currently have it setup as shown, with the bigger room as the control room. I figured the more symmetrical room would be better for mixing, and the room with less parallel walls would be better for tracking. I have a bunch of portable rigid fiberglass things, but after putting it all up in the tracking room I found the room sounded pretty dull. Of course, the bigger room probably has a better natural reverb. SIGH. Does anybody have any thoughts on whether I should switch and use the bigger room for tracking?

I've read a lot of Ethan Winer and forums here and done a lot of portable recording, but this is my first time setting up a somewhat permanent space. My current treatment ideas were...

Control room (bigger room):
- Bass traps floor to ceiling in all corners except where the door is. Some of that corner foam stuff up high in that corner. The bass traps will simply be fiberglass panels placed at an angle across the corner.
- Rigid fiberglass panel on the wall behind the mix position, as well as on the side walls between mix position and monitors.
- Rigid fiberglass panels OR diffuser type piece of plywood at an angle on the roof between mix position and monitors. Would appreciate some input on that decision.

Tracking room (smaller room):
- Again bass traps in the corners except just the corner foam stuff above the door.
- Big diffusers along the long parallel wall (may purchase or make these myself)
- Rigid fiberglass panels on the ceiling in the middle of the room, where the tracking will generally happen.

I record all types of music. Acoustic instruments, drums, vocalists, etc.

I have some of the fiberglass panels already, but will need to construct more. Between that and the diffusers, that'll likely max out my budget/free time for treating this. Any input on my plans? Improvements? I appreciate any comments.

That looks like it will be a pretty killer setup once you get your paneling finished. I'm not the expert on paneling, as I am seeking advice here myself but I admire what you have going on. I wish I could run a 2 room setup like this but I only have one room to work with :( . Anyways, good luck!

Thanks! I'm not sure how long this setup will last, that all depends on how quickly we start having kids. :) A one room setup isn't all that bad either, once you learn how to work with it. Just use the biggest room you have available cause it'll give you the best acoustics.

Back