Best Way To Acoustically Treat My New Room?

HRUser9000

I may be moving to a new place this fall, and was wondering if some of you could provide some insight as to how to best build a studio in 1 of the rooms.

This is the floor plan:

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

*Key difference is that the outside bathroom is rotated clockwise 90 degrees, so the door opens west instead of south, and it is connected and only entered through the den room*

I may also be able to provide a video or virtual tour if some of you guys are serious about helping.

I was hoping to have the studio set up in the den room. However as you can see, it's very open with no real corners. I see corner bass traps in almost all professional studios, so I am wondering if this would be an issue.

Another option would be for me to set up my studio in a small part of my bedroom, but I don't really have any other intentions for the den apart from a studio so I don't want that large room to go to waste.

So firstly, is it better to set up my studio in the den or in a part of my master bedroom? I definetely don't want to make the den my bedroom and have my whole studio in the bedroom.

Secondly, if I do set it up in the den, what would be the ideal set up be and what kind of treatment and foam pieces would I need? I'm looking at it right now, and I can maybe see having the desk and laptop and monitors set up where the couch is currently in the den as shown in the floor plan. The thing is I don't know how wide that wall is, cause the monitors could potentially be there but then behind the monitors would just be the 2 open hallways leading into the living room/kitchen right? Or I could have it set up facing the west wall, but it would have the windows behind and in between there. The north wall opens to the balcony and the east would be going to the bathroom.

Considering this desk as my studio desk LINNMON / ADILS Table - birch effect/silver color - IKEA Would placing this table where the couches are in the den in the floor plan potentially work?

Also what should I do about the glass windows off to the side?

Should I have the studio desk where the couch is in the den in the pic or in front of the windows?

What kind of bass traps could I get? I am thinking of doing the opposite ceiling/wall corner with bass traps, but it is crucial I get sticking material that does NOT ruin the wall.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Do you mind if one of the openings into the den is blocked permanently by your desk? Best place for the desk is centered on either of the short walls. The wall with the window would probably be best, and hang a heavy drape over the window. Do the same thing over the slider to the balcony.
Forget 'acoustic foam'. It'll be a waste of your money. Cover as much of the back wall (the wall opposite the desk) with rockwool bass traps, at least 4" thick. A couple of 2" or 4" rockwool traps on the side walls (point of first reflection will probably be where the slider is on that side). It's a small room, so as much trapping as you can squeeze in will help.

Do you mind if one of the openings into the den is blocked permanently by your desk? Best place for the desk is centered on either of the short walls. The wall with the window would probably be best, and hang a heavy drape over the window. Do the same thing over the slider to the balcony.
Forget 'acoustic foam'. It'll be a waste of your money. Cover as much of the back wall (the wall opposite the desk) with rockwool bass traps, at least 4" thick. A couple of 2" or 4" rockwool traps on the side walls (point of first reflection will probably be where the slider is on that side). It's a small room, so as much trapping as you can squeeze in will help.

Hey I sent you a PM, could you please take a look when you have time, cheers mate!

I’m unsure of where the place the desk, keep it where it is now, or possibly move it to the other end and have it near the glass windows and balcony. Idk about that side due to the windows and balcony and all the glass, and I would need to buy more material to cover it all.

If I keep the desk where it is now, what kind of treatment would I need? Notice only 1 of the sides will have a corner as the other side is an open door. I was thinking of possibly of building some rock wool acoustic panels and mounting them on free stands, and placing them on each side of the table flush against the wall as it create kind of a wall and give the desk its own room. I could then cover the wall behind the speakers with more acoustic or foam, and possibly have a bass trap lay on top of and across of the 2 free standing acoustic panels.

If I move the desk to the window side, I would probably do the same with the free standing acoustic panels, but what would I do with the glass window behind the speakers? It would be very difficult to attach anything onto the glass windows/blinds. There is also the large vent near the top that would probably prevent bass traps from going up. The window side will also have an open door as you will see in the diagram.

I emailed gik and they recommended 2 free standing bass traps behind each monitor.

Is that better than having 2 free standing acoustic panels on the sides of the desk?

What monitors do you have? Do they have rear bass ports?

I have Dynaudio BM5A MKIIs. Here is a link to pics of the room.

What do I need to make the room sound better? I just want to spend $300-$350 ish to improve the room for mixing. Gik responded to me and said 2 free standing bass traps behind each monitor on the front wall. I'm not sure what he means, do I put them side by side on the front wall and put them flush behind the desk behind the monitors? Or do I want to spread them apart a little from the center, and place it on the front wall so that it covers the rear part of the speakers completely?

I know it's not going to be perfect but it's the best I can do for now.

Here are pics of the room

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Edit: I believe they do have some sort of rear / reflex port on the back?

Last edited:
Ok, those monitors DO have rear-firing bass ports, so you DO want bass traps behind them (on the front wall). Your desk is much too small to have the monitors on them, you need a speaker stand on either side so that the bass trap is behind them (between them and the wall.
You can make your own bass traps if you have access to a few tools. You can get rockwool from places like ATS Acoustics, use 1x4 wood to frame, burlap or cotton sheeting to cover them. I built my first 6 for about $220 (I had to have the rockwool shipped in because there was no place close for small amount). Plenty of youtubes on how to build them.

Back