best places for acoustic building materials

snapper

Can anyone give me some names or links to places to buy various sound proofing materials. I have searched a few and saw some of the things I'm looking for, but I would like to know of some more if I could. It would also be helpfull to me if I new what to call some of these materials(brand name or whatever).I want to build a sound proof (as possible) control room in my basement. It will be a room within a room so I dont really need any help on studs,drywall,etc, but I need help with whatever the other materials I could use would be(sorry so stupidly vague).

snapper said:
Can anyone give me some names or links to places to buy various sound proofing materials. I have searched a few and saw some of the things I'm looking for, but I would like to know of some more if I could. It would also be helpfull to me if I new what to call some of these materials(brand name or whatever).I want to build a sound proof (as possible) control room in my basement. It will be a room within a room so I dont really need any help on studs,drywall,etc, but I need help with whatever the other materials I could use would be(sorry so stupidly vague).

Snapper, I wish I could tell you there was a magical sound proofing material, but there isn't. Sound proofing is achieved through the use of multiple materials. What you know already is a good start. Studs, drywall... if you know how to do that stuff the other stuff is easy.
If you really want your control room to be SOUND PROOF, I would suggest using 2 layers of 3/4" particle wood on your studs, each side. Mounting Z-channel (RC8-Channel http://www.auralex.com) on the particle wood, and then mounting 2 layers of drywall on top of the Z-channel.
The Z-channel doesn't really cost all that much, and it does so much. What it does, if you don't know, is it decouples the drywall from the mounting surface, therefore stopping the vibrations from passing through the drywall, to the particle wood, to the studs, and out the other side. It hangs the drywall 1/2" away from the particle wood, so that means if you're using 1/2" drywall, the first layer you want to use 3/4" screws. And you have to drill small holes for every screw. It's a bit of extra work, but no one ever said sound proofing was easy.
If you really want to go NUTS with spending cash, which I'm sure you're not, but I'll say it anyway, you could put Sheetblock up on the particle wood before mounting the Z-channel. That is also found at http://www.auralex.com. It's so damn expensive I don't know of anyone who's ever used it. If you used that stuff you wouldn't need to put up 2 layers of 3/4" particle wood, just one layer would do. The big thing about sheetblock is that it saves space. Yes, you can get the same results out of putting up more layers of wood, but that's going to take up more space, since sheetblock is only 1/8" thick, and it has an STC of 27.

I gotta get going.
Later,
-Brian

Thanks for your input here brian. The z-channel is or its equivalant is something I've got on my sketches. I am hoping for input on specific places to buy things as I'm ready to get the ball rollin with this project. Ive got local resources like menards,home depot and the like but was looking for some other options for specific products aimed at this type of construction. Like auralex.

Home Depot and Menards are great for drywall and particle wood, and insulation, that kind of stuff. That stuff is very normal for them to sell.
You can buy material strait from Auralex. Look through their catalog.

Later,
-Brian

Back