Best floor treatment on wood shed type foundation

rivilee

I'm in the process of building a small room (about 10' x 12' x 9.5' interior if I do room in room) on my property to mainly practice drums in. Because of covenants I can't put a concrete slab in but I can do a non-permanent foundation. Can't do a gravel foundation because of location and drainage so I'm pretty much stuck with beam on block.

How I treat the wood floor is basically determining how I design/build the rest of the room. I originally thought I would build it like Rod Gervais did: subfloor, 2" rigid insulation, 2 layers of ply, MLV, laminate flooring. However, I read somewhere that's only good down to ~100 hz and there will be impact noise with the drums.

My next thought was treated subfloor (with heavy foundation), 2" sand, subfloor again, insulation, ply, MLV, flooring. But then I read that people were against that because of mold issues.

So my next thought was same thing but instead of sand go ahead and do a 2" type S mortar mix concrete and etc. However, that effectively is permanent.

How about subfloor, 2" pavers tightly packed together and etc. flooring above that?

Thoughts? My brother's a structural engineer/building inspector so I've got that covered.

The entire envelope doesn't have to be a huge reduction in db. I'm in a quiet older neighborhood with a big yard with the room well away from any dwellings. I just want peace of mind when I'm practicing late at night.

Rick

If you'll check out my other thread you'll get a better idea of where I'm going. I'm adding this room coming off the one in this thread- My wife changed her mind

Since that thread I've added a covered walkway from the house.

Back