Best advice for novice/hobbyist for basement vocal setup?

mikedavid00

Hi!

I am not a pro and don't think it will ever come to that. This is all just for fun. So I don't want to spend much on soundproofing.

-Music type is urban/reggae.. local artists possibly. Mix tape style recordings.
-Room is a basement with smooth concrete floors. Half of the walls are concrete. Definitely has echo. Especially when playing speakers loud the bass echos.
-Room is a large open space. Large open basement (basement is pretty empty so I have all the space).
-I'd like the studio design where there is the mixing table, behind is a sofa, and in front is the recording booth or area. See below.

studio.gif

Obviously sound proofing the whole area is much more money than I can spend as I'm just a hobbyist. If you were just a hobbyist, and wanted to do something on the CHEAP to enable 'good enough' recording, what would you do. Also keeping in mind that you want the place to stay 'nice' looking if someone comes to record.

We have kids on the way so I don't know how long the basement will stay my studio that's why I don't want to do anything permanent down there.

Here's Brittney spears recording in probably a million dollar studio. Notice how open it is and inviting: YouTube - Britney Spears Womanizer in the studio exclusive

What would you guys recommend on my space, yet budget?

Mike,

I think you are confusing sound isolation (sound proofing) with acoustic treatment.

Calculate how much area you have on the walls and ceiling then build or buy absorption panels for 20% of it... That will get you started. That 20% should include floor to ceiling bass traps in the 4 vertical corners if possible. good luck!

Cheers,
John

Oh wow this is going to cost me a pretty penny.. Even to do 20% of all the walls.. Any budget recommendations? Like a material I can use? The sound from playback is too boomy as it is.

Mike,

If you can not afford OC703 or rock wool of the same density, use unfaced attic blanket and make the traps 6" deep. You'll need some cheap fabric, the attic blanket, and framing materials - either solid wood or plywood will do. If you use the attic blanket, you'll have to use frames to support them as it gets kinda' floppy.

Cheers,
John

Ok I went out to Lowes and got 3" thick rockwool insulation which is geared toward sound insultation. I spent $60 in total. It covers 120 sq ft. I have to say, I was skeptical but WOW it really worked!! I double stacked them in the corners and just put them around the walls and man did it work well.

It looks like this.. i hope this is what you were talking about:

rockwool-225.jpg

Mike,

Brilliant! Don't forget to cover them with fabric to keep dust and particles out of the air and your lungs. ;)

Cheers,
John

Thanks! I never knew the power of room acoustics! What a difference. My speakers sound great now. I'm tempted to do the living room now. I'll get that fabric on them as soon as I can.

Back