Beginner acoustic treatment

Aidan0222

I will be recording music in my carpeted bedroom which is about 15ft x 10ft. What is the best way for me to get the best sound out of my room while keeping the cost relatively low? Would it be a good idea to have an isolation shield around my microphone with a bass trap on the wall behind me? I am very new to the concept of acoustic treatment and very confused. Thanks

So you're going to want to get a bunch of egg crates....

Just kidding. Don't do that. :D

This guy is probably the most knowledgeable person I've spoken with on the subject.

http://http://ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

An isolation shield will just make your recordings sound dead; if that's what you want, then go for it, but it won't sound as good as it can.

I will be recording and mixing in the same room

Then I suggest you start out with the room as is or try some makeshift treatment like heavy blankets for tracking and find out you like doing this and want to pursue it before investing in proper acoustic treatment. Read the stickies at the top of this forum to get an idea of what you're getting into. There is science to it so it's best to have a basic understanding. Note that if you're DIY-inclined, it doesn't have to be very expensive.

So you have mic(s), audio interface, monitors already? What are you going to be recording (vocals, instruments...)? Anything else in the room besides your recording gear? What's your floor plan look like - windows and doors can affect how things sound.

So you have mic(s), audio interface, monitors already? What are you going to be recording (vocals, instruments...)? Anything else in the room besides your recording gear? What's your floor plan look like - windows and doors can affect how things sound.

I'll have my studio in my bedroom since I'm still in high school and don't have my own house. So there'a bed, desk, and a beanbag (not sure if that will affect the sound). There's one window and 3 different doors. It's also a rectangular room with carpet. I don't currently have all the equipment but I will very soon. I'll be recording guitar and vocals both with a mic and probably a box dum and electric drum set.

Get your gear first, then start recording. See how it sounds. DO NOT buy 'acoustic foam' - waste of money in your situation. Same thing with a reflection filter - it might help, but it might not.

Back