Bedroom Studio Setup - Help! Advice needed

tcbroomfield

Hi, I'm just starting to create a Studio in my Bedroom, and am looking for some advice. I understand it'll never be near pro standard, but I'd like to do everything as best as possible. Top to bottom.

In terms of layout, would I benefit greatly from moving my desk in front of the window (see pic). I understand I'd need to move it in front about a 3rd of the room length in, with the speakers about a foot from the wall. However i'm concerned it'll restrict room elsewhere. If it'll drastically improve the sound then I'll make the change.

Room dimensions: 4m length x 3m width x 1.80m/2.40m height (lowest/heighest point).

The wardrobe will probably go, which I believe would help with sound, reflections etc.

1) move desk in front of window?

2) Also, is the window behind the speakers going to be a problem? (note: the other end isn't an option).

3) Is the ceilings an issue, would the way I have my desk be better for sound, or the other way?

4) Recommendations for basic acoustic treatment?

IMG_21823.jpg

I'm a little stuck here and would really appreciate your advice, I'm completely new to recording and would like to get it right from the start! Should I move my desk, keep it the same & maybe treat it acoustically as it is?

I've done research, but there are a lot of variables!

Thanks!

Yeah, desk facing the window but out from it (don't want to block the heater, either). Move the wardrobe out of there, bass traps from floor to ceiling in the corners. The window shouldn't be an issue for sound, but hang a heavy drape over it.

Thanks for the advice! In terms of acoustic treatment, would you recommend anything else other than bass traps in the two corners?

You haven't given us a dimensioned floor plan, but the usual set up has point-of-first reflection absorption panels and ceiling cloud (at least 2" rockwool) and bass traps or superchunks in all corners.

Back