Bedroom room treatment

Houda

Hi guys well ive been reading up on room treatment and just wanted to see what people thought of on here.
This is the layout of my room
Room_Floor_Plan.jpg

I have tried to make it as scaled as possible, the chair and guitar stand are not scaled but everything else pretty much is. Weird it really doesn't feel like I've got that huge empty gap in the middle of my room .... hmm maybe its because I've always got stuff lying around.

Anyway just wondering what effect if any my wardrobe would have, its got sliding doors that are mirrors (if that makes sense).
Also the window in my room, I've got curtains, the white stuff then a proper curtain on top, its just a layer of fabric basically, would this have any disastrous effects?

With the mic I think I'l be buying a sE X1 with the reflection filter so I'm hoping that would help.
Also would something like this be of use?
How to build a vocal booth FOR BEGINNERS, how to record vocals step 1 - YouTube
Getting those stick on hooks some fabric and hoops should be relatively easy.

I'm hoping i can keep my room well normal looking so I'm hoping I wont need to use those big foam things that people have in the corners of the room.

Oh my floor is wooden floorboards, no idea if this would have any effect on treatment.

But if there's anything else i can do to the room to make it better all suggestions are welcome :) thanks guys

From what I've heard and learned from you tube and this forum then there a couple of things you could do that would help.

1. Move your bed and put your desk halfway along the wall with the window on it. you could put it on the other wall with that little drawer thing where your guitar stand is now with your bed coming into the room not along the wall.
2. Then set up your speakers so that the left speaker is the same distance from the left wall as the right speaker is from the right wall. when this is done set up your listening position as the point of the triangle in front of the speakers. (Measure the distance between the tweeters on your speakers and your ears should be the same distance away in the center.)
3.Then make some absobrtion panels for early reflections, I would recommend at least 2 inches thick, mine are 3 inches. I got some timber, 3inches by 1inch, I made a picture frame with this, they are 3ft by 4ft, I then put some 4mm hardboard on the back, then filled with fiber glass loft insulation or you could use another type of absorbtion material, then you can cover with fabric with a funky design on it and they can look like wall art.
4. Now your panels are made, sit in your listening position and get a friend to run a small mirror along the left wall at ear level and when you see your RIGHT speaker this is the spot to hang one of your absorbtion panels, then do the same on your right wall for your left speakers early reflections. At this point your in a far better position than you are currently.
5. There are more things you can do, A rug on the floor would be beneficial and I know you said you didn't want anything in the corners but if you put bass traps in the corners either side of the speakers these would be HUGELY beneficial. Also heavier curtains would be great too.
These 5 step should get you started but there is loads more you could do, if your wardrobes are 10ft or more behind your listening position then this reduces the effects of early reflections but doesnt mean you wont get them but you might get away without absorbtion on them. And one last thing, If you don't already have them then a good set of NEARFIELD monitors are a must. I would recommend krk rokit 5's.

I'm in the middle of re-treating my room as I had made lots of mistakes, my room was too dead. and the bass traps I had were useless, so I'm taking down some absortion panels and just leaving 1 on either side wall where I can see my speaker in the mirror from my listening position and I'm also gonna make proper bass traps for my corners and at certain points where my walls meet the ceiling. Then I'm gonna hang a panel from the ceiling over my head.

I'm no expert but from all the research I've done and looking at video's this is the best advice I can give you. I hope it helps.

I'm not really planning on buying speakers any time soon, I thought i would just buy a decent pair of headphones and listen through there from my laptop.
Wait so your saying assuming the picture is n ^ s v move the desk south and put the bed between it and the wall? That actually not only makes for a neat little area but sounds pretty damn cool!, but ill see what i can do about those absorbing things whatever they are called. Would they be in the corners of the room? i think i could put one on the ne and se corners of the room.
If i move the desk as you suggested i could also do the blanket thing like the video so i would have a little booth in there, would that be beneficial? A rug shouldnt be too hard to get im persian so the house is full of them haha

Ah I see, your monitoring on headphone's. Well if thats the case then your room doesn't matter for monitoring, you just want to isolated your microphone from the room. I think the video you may have looked at is the rode video, and yes hanging the drapes like it says it that video would help. The advice I gave you was really just to treat your room to monitor in.

The link to the videos up there ^ 8th line after the pic (not including empty lines) alright that sounds good thanks :)

Back