Bass volume changes when walking around the room what to do?

idclev32

Hello guys,

I just bought this new gear , 2x Yamaha hs8 and a scarlett 2i2. It's doing a great job and I'm really satisfied about it.
This is the first time I bought studio monitors so I'm quite a noobie. As i said , I'm really satisfied , the sound is great and the soundcard is doing a great job.
The only problem I'm encountering now is that I have issues with my sub bass. When i'm sitting in frotn of my monitors the bass goes down in volume when i go under G.
For each note i go lower it gets more quiet. When i stand in the back of my room I hear the bass at a higher volume , at the same volume when I would hit the G-note or higher.
Itn the corners it gets even better.
Can somebody give me some information on how to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Room treatment will ideally flatten out the room's response curve around the whole room. In home recording studios, it rarely does that, but it should be able to get you a bigger sweet spot in front of your monitors. Do you have any bass trapping at all? 1st reflection point absorption? Ceiling cloud? These are quick fixes that can help tame your room easily and inexpensively.

I'm new to the game so no. I've already heard about it but never had the need for being involved with it. Thanks for the reply , I will do some research!

The only problem I'm encountering now is that I have issues with my sub bass.

Conflicting bass frequencies. I suggest not tracking or mixing with your sub bass. You're using a couple of the best studio monitors there are in the home studio and sub-pro markets. You can balance your room with those and only use your subs for final playback. I have owned just about every hi-end studio monitor of all sizes through the past 35+ years including Genelecs. The ATC's are the only pair of studio monitors my Yamaha NS8OM's can't compare to. But they're also $7K more expensive.

Last edited:
Thanks. Although my room is not a perfect rectangle should I keep that in mind?
Shure, but mostly that's simply a nice tool to help see and understand roughly what's going on.
When you try to get into the finer points, as I understand it is measure/listen/adjust'. Most of us around here prolly' just try to tackle and knock down the worst of it.
Also got to remember, all the music enjoyed in spite of 'bad' rooms.
Here's one for that end.
REW - Room EQ Wizard Room Acoustics Software

Nodes. Here's what worked for me. 4" thick home made condensed fiberglass Owens Corning 703 bass traps in the corners. Book shelves along the sides. Furniture. One end of the room with lots of 2" 703 to tame reflection points. Mix cloud.

This is a result of standing waves and they are a very common problem in untreated rooms with parallel surfaces.

When low frequencies reflect between two parallel surfaces, the phase relationship between the sound waves introduces a series of nodes (decrease in amplitude) and anti-nodes (increase in amplitude) around the room. To hear this in all it's glory, try playing a low frequency sine wave through your speakers and walk around your room. This helps to locate the sweet spots in your studio.

Before you treat your room for "general low-end issues", it would be worth finding out what frequencies are causing you the most problems. This can help you determine the density of the material needed and how long a gap you need between the treatment and the surface behind it.

Many frequency analysers are available for this kind of task. FuzzMeasure is a nifty little tool, but is for mac only!

Hope this helps

Hello guys,

I just bought this new gear , 2x Yamaha hs8 and a scarlett 2i2. It's doing a great job and I'm really satisfied about it.
This is the first time I bought studio monitors so I'm quite a noobie. As i said , I'm really satisfied , the sound is great and the soundcard is doing a great job.
The only problem I'm encountering now is that I have issues with my sub bass. When i'm sitting in frotn of my monitors the bass goes down in volume when i go under G.
For each note i go lower it gets more quiet. When i stand in the back of my room I hear the bass at a higher volume , at the same volume when I would hit the G-note or higher.
Itn the corners it gets even better.
Can somebody give me some information on how to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Feel free to post some pictures and plans also.

Back