Bass Traps and Sound Deadening

Ron Smith

I have a dp-24 studio, sal ref amp, and
Tannoy monitors in basically a 20'x 20' room. When I stand at the back of the room and listen to mixes I am almost unable to tell where the music is coming from it is bouncing around the room so much. I know I need some treatment, but I have also looked at prices. Any ideas on do it yourself, and/or has anyone used the Aurelux bass trap kits for corners or any other treatment. Also I am looking for info on spectrum analyzers and graphic EQ. Back in the 80's I had a trailer control room and our bass player had a lot of gear and he said he used his eq and analyzer to tune my control room like he did for live shows. I did not get much experience with this and am curious about uses and effectiveness.

Ron,
If you will do a forum search for Owens Corning 703, OC 703, sound absorbers, or Roxul, you will find a ton of information about DIY sound absorbers. There have been many discussions posted to this forum, some with step by step construction images. Absorbers will need to be strategically placed at the reflection points.

Inferring from your description of the "analyzer to tune" the room, you may be looking for Room EQ Wizard .
Dale

You can build bass traps pretty cheaply compared to the Auralex foam kits (which will NOT do a good job of bass trapping). OC703 or 705 or Roxul, 4" thick minimum for 2'x4' traps with framed outside, cloth covering. You can also create superchunk corner traps by cutting the rockwool into 2'x2' triangles and stacking them in the corner. My first batch of 6 cost about $260 - would have been much less if I hadn't had to have the rockwool shipped to me.

bass01184.JPG
bass01186.JPG
bass01187.JPG
bass01190.JPG

Thanks I appreciate your time and input. I have been away for awhile but everyone is as helpful as I remember, thanks again. Ron

Thanks very much will be working on some soon. I have seen those ceiling corner things looked like a 2' triangle fairly expensive, I have a lot of equipment in this room as we use it as a rehearsal space also and I don't have a lot of open walls. It is actually 16 x 20 because of a 4' stairwell down to the basement and 3 mirrors on the inside wall in front of the stairwell and 2 windows on theN. side, 1 and a reg door on the south side and a set of fr. doors and a double window on the west side toward my house it was not built for a recording studio to begin with but now, here I am. I have PA speakers hanging from the South Wall so the Corners are not exactly barren open corners, but I would be open to anything. I have the drum set behind a plexi-shield in the NW corner of building, and mixing board/recorder on N. wall between windows. I have keyboards, another drum set and guitar amps and various mics and stands scattered around so there is not a lot of wiggle room, floor is ceramic tile, drywall walls.

Do you think the ceiling would be a good place I have 8 recessed lights in ceiling but the ceiling is the most open space I have.

The key is to make them from rigid fiberglass and no less than 4" thick. Also you want to make sure you are set up properly in the room, which is FREE!! See the following to give you a hand with mix placement and treatment.
Basics of Room Setup -

Back