Bass Traps..do they have to..?

Phosphene

Horse Diaper
Do they have to go exactly in the corner? In my basement, I am rearranging things hopefully for the better (better sound treatment), and putting up some absorbers and diffusors. There is a damned door in the left corner of the front of the room, and if I put a bass trap there, of course the door won't open all the way. I'm talking about the Auralex LENRD traps. I thought maybe I could move it over a bit to the right so the door can open, or does this defeat the purpose?
I think it would, since bass tends to build up in the corners. any ideas?

Technically, it does. As a rough alternative, you could try hanging broadband absorbers around the room to deaden a bit or most of the frequencies in the spectrum.

Phosphene said:
Do they have to go exactly in the corner? In my basement, I am rearranging things hopefully for the better (better sound treatment), and putting up some absorbers and diffusors. There is a damned door in the left corner of the front of the room, and if I put a bass trap there, of course the door won't open all the way. I'm talking about the Auralex LENRD traps. I thought maybe I could move it over a bit to the right so the door can open, or does this defeat the purpose?
I think it would, since bass tends to build up in the corners. any ideas?

Can you make the bass trap mobile, put it in place when you are inside etc.??
You do need them in the corners for trapping bass frequencies.

The closer to the corner the better. Having them on one wall right against the corner or have them at the Wall ceiling junction right at the corner (above the door).

But you don't have to have trapping in every single corner. Folks say that 'bass accumulates in the corner' but what they are really saying is that bass develops between one corner and the opposite corner because that is the longest air column in the room.

So what is in the corner OPPOSITE the door?

Innovations said:
So what is in the corner OPPOSITE the door?

That is where is stairway is to go upstairs. There isn't really a corner there, the ceiling goes way up in that little area.

Speaking of the corner with the swinging door:
I thought maybe I could put the bass trap out from the corner about 15", outside the radius of the door....? Will this do anything? I could just put it in the crease where the ceiling meets the wall, just down roughly a doors legth from the corner.

I bought a pair of these little devils and the other one is going to fit perfectly in the right corner. (These corners in question are on the same wall as my monitors).

Any help is appreciated....I know I am not doing this pro, but I figure I want to at least put them in strategic places where they are being used and not just looking pretty.

To take a different tack, I'd seriously rethink an arrangement where you can't trap either front corner - and you have a serious symmetry issue since you dont' HAVE one of the front corners.

Just a thought.

Bryan

Phosphene said:
That is where is stairway is to go upstairs. There isn't really a corner there, the ceiling goes way up in that little area.

Speaking of the corner with the swinging door:
I thought maybe I could put the bass trap out from the corner about 15", outside the radius of the door....? Will this do anything? I could just put it in the crease where the ceiling meets the wall, just down roughly a doors legth from the corner.

I bought a pair of these little devils and the other one is going to fit perfectly in the right corner. (These corners in question are on the same wall as my monitors).

Any help is appreciated....I know I am not doing this pro, but I figure I want to at least put them in strategic places where they are being used and not just looking pretty.
I think I would like to see a floor plan. or maybe four photos standing at the center of the room facing each corner.

bpape said:
To take a different tack, I'd seriously rethink an arrangement where you can't trap either front corner - and you have a serious symmetry issue since you dont' HAVE one of the front corners.

Just a thought.

Bryan

well i do have both front corners as long as no one opens the stinking door :p

Innovations said:
I think I would like to see a floor plan. or maybe four photos standing at the center of the room facing each corner.

Photos coming tonight. Thanks for the interest.

Back