Bass Trap Depth

nate_dennis

As I've been reading and learning about the roll of bass traps and how they work I've come to understand that building a bass trap into a fram with an air pocket behind it is far superior to just hanging sheets of 703 on the wall or across a corner. I know that most people like to use 2" thick fiberglass with a 4" air pocket behind it (bringing the whole trap to 6" thick.) WOuld using 1" 703 with a 2" air pocket behind it work? I know 2" would be better, but with my living conditions changing often and being small and cramped. It seems like losing a foot of space would be tough. Not to mention the cost difference between 1" and 2". So I guess my question is . . . . . would a trap made of 1" FG and a 2" air pocket provide sufficient bass trapping abilities? Thanks for all the help.

Sorry no answers but thought by adding to the thread it might help generate one - I would like to know this too !

Cheers !

So would you say that a wooden frame would be required? Or could I just wrap some 703 in a burlap or something similar and straddle the corners and use other types of sound treatment for the walls?Thanks a lot Ethan I really appreciate all you do in this area.

How you mount the fiberglass is irrelevant. The important thing is to get enough of it in the corners.

--Ethan

The resonant panel approach is different in many ways from the thick wad of OC 703 in the corners.

Both are valuable. I do both in my studio. But the wad in the corner is more of a broadband absorber that will go down to low bass notes. The resonant panels are not broadband, they're more focused solely on the low end.

And would it be okay to chamfer the corners of the board to make it fit flush into the corner? I mean - are we blocking the corner off as in 'losing the corner' all the way from ceiling to floor, or just in a region, around about ear height?

Do you think thick sheet polystyrene is any use? I have loads of that...

Dr. V

Back