Bass absorption

bradthefattest

I was wanting to know the most cost friendly way to treat bass reflections in a studio that i am setting up. I have heard hanging heavy blankets helps but i wanted to hear what yall would say.

Futon

A fabric covered futon works well to absorb some bass, can't get much cheaper than that if you already have one.

You can build John's designs in cabinet form and move them anywhere. Do it right and you'll have sound treatments that will last a couple lifetimes.

Depends on what kind of materials you use, and how big you make your corner absorbers.

2" rigid fiberglass soundboard runs about $1.25/SQUARE FOOT.

3/4" MDF runs about $18/sheet.

For slats for the slot resonators you can use plywood or solid wood.

I built a set of 4- 7'6"tall x 3'6" wide gobos, using 3-1/2 inches of Knauf RFS. The insulation alone came to about $335US.

I also used oak veneered 3/4" and 1/4" shop ply, and built inner frames from pine to support the carcase. I used hemp muslin stretched over pine frames to cover the cavities.

I figure grand total materials came to about $750US.

But I didn't build these with controlling bass frequencies in mind. I was looking to isolate household and other noise from my mics, and to be able to add some control to my room.

Here's some pics of my gobos:

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=99265&highlight=gobos

OK sorry when i said cost friendly, I basically meant dirt cheap. I am 17 and the other person I am starting this is 20. we basically have a $1400 budget, and we need about 10 new mic cables, 3 mic stands, and probably a new condensor mic. which will leave us with $800 if we are lucky to totally treat the 2 rooms we are going to recording in at the house we are going to rent. So we need the cheapest solutions possible. throw out the cheapest ideas youve ever heard. We just want to get this studio set up and sounding pretty good, once we have recorded a few bands we plan on getting more stuff with money we have made

You can cut the cost of the insulation by sustituting Rockwool for RSB. It costs about half as much as fiberglass.

Also, do a search for Ethan Winer's site. He has some designs that are a bit different than John's, and should cost a bit less to build. You can modify his design to make it removable, or just figure on having to do a little patching and painting when it's time to move on.

Back