Basement Studio Build

role65

Well after much reading I've finally started my project. 1 small Live room ( 8 x 12) and a little bit larger listening room (12x 26). Framing is done and insulation should be done this week with Drywall starting next week. I've been waiting to post pics cause i've been moving slow. But i have some pics below.

LIVE ROOM

walls are 2x3 walls on 2x8 plate ( i know some transmission loss) will have 2 layers of drywall

Some issues
2 walls are cinder block in control room
I plan on using lots of absorption on these walls

so here's where I'm at.

Attachments

• Control room.jpg
    Control room.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 690
  • Vocal area.jpg
    Vocal area.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 670
  • Live Room.jpg
    Live Room.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 671
  • Live Room (2).jpg
    Live Room (2).jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 665
Pic titles

1st pic

view from entryway into CR

2nd Pic

Vocal "alcove" area inside CR entry
Utility closet on the Right Entry on left side of alcove area

3rd
entry view inside LR

4th
View from LR window

Wouldn't it be a better idea to use the larger room for a live room and the smaller room for a control room? If you're looking to maximize a room's natural reverberation characteristics, wouldn't you want a room that has more space and therefore potential to develop ambiance?

I'm not trying to "correct" your plan as I'm not an acoustic expert...just asking some questions to gain some insight.

Darn it, we don't have basements in Texas! What a lovely place to build a studio. Good luck!
LOL you kno' what you just reminded me of lol , pee-wee hermans movie . when he went to the alamo and wanted to see the basement lol

rockdude,

I'm not too concerned wilh natural ambiance since niether room is really big enough for good ambiance. I am concerned with getting the best listening environment possible, so while not huge the CR is a better size for listening. Really drums and vox are the only thing "live" i do. and i'm going to try to keep the vox alcove in the cr. you can see it in the pic. so more or less the live room is a drum room.
but hey i can always switch around later, although i plan carpeting the cr room, but no bigie

For the record I HATE fiberglass... i'm done insulating and should start hanging this week maybe...
will get pics once drywall starts going up
Ryan

Good luck, a small drum room isn't bad if you can deaden it up enough. At least it's less wall space to make panels for! That 12x26 listening room can double as a rec room too, I'd have a pool table, bar, etc. I think that'll be a nice setup when it's complete.

role65 I have my doubts about you REALLY hating fiberglass... I build recording studios for a living and let me tell you! pink lung is the shit!!! just give it time, the carcinogens and the bleeding lungs start to feel great. its better than tobacco.

oh yeah, and your studio looks awesome i look forward to seeing it sheetrocked

pink lung

oblackmer,

lessons learned.
#1 NEVER EVER BUY UNFACED INSULATION. Don't be a tight ass when you run just a little short and need more insulation, dont do it!!! so you save 5 bucks a roll. I swear I probably lost 10% of my lung capacity from that one roll. It was so bad my wife came down to see what was wrong with me due to the coughing, hacking up crap, and snot and tears coming from everywhere! SUCKS!!! you have my deepest sympathy if you do that for a living.

#2 Hire some dumb highschool kid to insulate. avoid the pain, shoot even pay them $10 an hour, it will be worth the 3 years you won't have to carry one of those oxygen tanks around..LOL

Sheetrock should start late this week if i can get my pops over here to help...
Ryan

drywall

well got 1 layer of drywall up on the ceiling!!! will hopefully take some pics tomorrow to post. I couldn't hold a camera steady right now anyway. I looked like Barney fife holding a gun trying to screw that last piece up..LOL
OUT OF SHAPE!!!
Ryan

80% drywall up

OK here's some pics. Finally got some drywall up, BTW 2 layers take forever, more lessons learned... MARK STUDS ON 1st sheet. it took a while for me to figure that out..LOL so i'm hoping to have this wrapped up by may...Hopefully..
RYan

Attachments

• 100_0954.jpg
    100_0954.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 408
  • 100_0955.jpg
    100_0955.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 397
  • 100_0956.jpg
    100_0956.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 391
  • 100_0957.jpg
    100_0957.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 398
OHH btw the day i got my drywall up i found out that my outside"frost free" spigot froze over the winter and totally soaked some insulation...LOL figures right.. that's wat the water is from..
Ryan

More pics

Attachments

• 100_0958.jpg
    100_0958.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 396
  • 100_0959.jpg
    100_0959.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 391
  • 100_0960.jpg
    100_0960.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 391
  • 100_0962.jpg
    100_0962.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 398
Hi from South Africa

Interesting how you guys do it :-)

Over here I put a brick skin as the primary wall with drywall then fastened to the brick...

Pink fibreglass is illegal here due to it's effect on the lungs... we have another kind over here, which isn't sharp.
I also combined carpet underfelt with the pink... heavier and more absorbing...

:-) I love building studio's!
I attached a photo of mine.

Attachments

• Studio Latest  006.jpg
    Studio Latest 006.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 318
progress what progress

well i haven't done anything, weather broke and had some house things to do. and my church needed help with a renovating a building. So i'm hoping maybe by june starting back in the basement. i'll post pics when i finally get some progress :(

Ryan

Keep thopse pics coming!

I am really looking forward to see how this is going to turn out. I am about to start a project very similar in dimensions. The big difference is that I will be using the smaller room as a control room and the larger room for a tracking room.

So in short - keep the pics coming and the lessons learned.

-Wolfram

back at it

I'll try to post some pics later this week. I have to finish some corners and texture and the drywall will be done... again lessons learned for those thinking about building your own studio

i think this is like lesson #4 LOL
When you see guys drywall and it looks real easy, IT"S NOT. It takes you about 3 times as long so don't get frustrated just have patience otherwise you will be sanding...LOL well if your new you'll be sanding a lot anyway...

Ryan

I would get a de humidifier. Make sure you have it full blast during a recording session. It will give you fantastic sonic qualities! No seriously moisture sucks!

Back