Basement Studio Build

Hmmm, well a no go on the windows being put in. When I was putting in the top piece of the frame, the drill bit slipped off the head of the screw, and the drill went through the window. *sigh* Time to re think this. Maybe I go with plexi afterall.

Last edited:
how thick was the glass?
Remember that glass has about 3 times the density of sheetrock so if you are going to match the isolation of your wall and it has 1.25 inches of sheetrock, your glass needs to be minimum of 3/8ths inch. Other wise you won't have near the isolation.

... wall and it has 1.25 inches of sheetrock, your glass needs to be minimum of 3/8ths inch. Other wise you won't have near the isolation.

I have a few weak links in the build as it is, the rooms main design was to reduce sound coming into the control room and reduce sound leaking into it, not eliminate it altogether (although if I had the budget for it I would have loved to make it near quiet.)

The glass was 1/2" on the inside and 1/4" on the outside. The 1/4" was the one that got jacked.

As it is, getting a 6' x 3' window that size in 1/4" cost nearly $200, I am running out of money faster than you could believe. lol

(Giggle)
Nah man, believe me when I say I feel your pain!

I started over 4 years ago trying to build my studio. I set aside $10,000 and took out a loan for 3k more knowing I would more than likely go over budget.... and if not,I'd buy some gear.

It cost me nearly $40,000 by the time it was over 3 years later.

I see you've done your homework, I was just making sure you were not going with 1/8th inch glass thinking you were accomplishing something.

That was ME on my first vocal booth!

If you want to check out my place:
www.tmixstudio.com

DrummerDude!

Lookin pretty damn good. You gotta be jacked.
Just throwin some props your way man.

Peace-n-stuff...........Kel

@tmix - Heh, actually looked at your pics before, I must have seen them somewhere else on the BBS. 40K is about 39K more than I have to spend lol. As it is though, I am just over 1K in supplies alone. I still have a long way to go. But time and money are always going to be working against me, so I will have to make due with what I have when I have it. (and hope that I can justify spending large ammounts of money to the wife.)

@Dogbreath - Thanks, appreciate it! I have decided that this weekend will be the weekend when I get the windows in, despite any financial issues that may arrise. lol

It is always buy first, tell the wife second, and then find a comfortable place in the studio to sleep for the night. :P

Woot! Decided to get off my ass and actually do some work in the home studio! I finished the first layer of mud/tape last nigtht, and went out and bought new glass for the window. I should be pressing on until I get the windows done, and the room painted! Maybe I will have enough progress to shoot up some new pics soon. :)

Yeah !

Boy this brings back memories!
I had to buy 2 pieces of glass a second time and I remembered how painful it was to have to do it!
I had bought 4 pieces 36 by 48 of 3/8ths glass and my Dad ( a Builder) offered to go pick it up for me.
I should have figured it would be too heavy for him ( Mid 70s) but he went and got them but left them in the back of the truck on a day when it was over 100 degrees outside.
When he started to carry them one by one, they got too hot to hold so he dropped one on top of another one breaking them both.
I love my Dad, he was just trying to help.
It still was an expensive oops.

Maybe I go with plexi afterall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
:eek: Looks great. Couple of suggestions. Do NOT use plexi for the window. If anything save for a layer of 3/8" second sheet. You said one of the wall shiething layers is "soundboard".
In that case, the mass of soundboard is almost nil. In fact, since its an absorption product, your wall is probably the equivelent of a little more than one layer of drywall. So, I would guess that the 1/4" second pane would be about right. To be on the safe side though, I would submit that 3/8" would be better.

Not to rain on your parade, but I wished you would have asked here prior to putting that "soundboard" up. When it comes to Transmission Loss, Soundboard is NOT Mass. They refer it as Soundboard when it comes to ABSORPTION, used on the interior of a space. Oh well, done deal. Anyway looks great and I hope you get the iso you needed. Keep posting pics. Always like to see people finish their projects.
fitZ

:eek: Looks great. Couple of suggestions. Do NOT use plexi for the window. If anything save for a layer of 3/8" second sheet.

Problem with getting that 3/8" tempered glass is having to wait about a month or 2 for the wife to sign off on it. Plus I already cut the plexi :(. I made the frame so that I can (with some effort) remove the plexi and replace it with glass when I get the money or if I really notice a need for it, I can do it immediately. I did just get a call from the least expensive glass company in town and they quoted me $350 *sigh*.

You said one of the wall shiething layers is "soundboard".
In that case, the mass of soundboard is almost nil. In fact, since its an absorption product, your wall is probably the equivelent of a little more than one layer of drywall. So, I would guess that the 1/4" second pane would be about right. To be on the safe side though, I would submit that 3/8" would be better.

Not to rain on your parade, but I wished you would have asked here prior to putting that "soundboard" up. When it comes to Transmission Loss, Soundboard is NOT Mass. They refer it as Soundboard when it comes to ABSORPTION, used on the interior of a space. Oh well, done deal. Anyway looks great and I hope you get the iso you needed. Keep posting pics. Always like to see people finish their projects.
fitZ

Kicking myself after hearing about this. And to think I payed a little extra for the sound board *sigh*. Oh well. Hindsight is 20/20. When I do the Vocal Booth I will remember to bypass the soundboard and just go with 2 layers of 5/8 on both walls. Thanks for the tip on soundboard Rick. I was secretely hoping you would say something about the build because you have a very strong presence on these boards and you have the info needed to get the job done right the first time. (Too bad I didn't ask before starting the build lol)

Well at least SOME good news. I can get a 6x3' tempered sheet 3/8" for $175 from a builder supply company in town, I contacted them off a recommendation from a friend. I would be able to get the sheet so cheep because they overbought on a project or something. Basically I got lucky. :D:D:D Now I need to find out a way to convince the wife to let me spend this money on the glass.

Word of advice - if yours is anything like my wife, you're not SPENDING
$175 on glass, you're SAVING $175 versus the $350 price. And it's a limited time offer! Better act now or else you'll just be looking at that $350 glass further down the road.

But not all women leave reason behind when confronted with a sale. Good luck!

Word of advice - if yours is anything like my wife, you're not SPENDING
$175 on glass, you're SAVING $175 versus the $350 price. And it's a limited time offer! Better act now or else you'll just be looking at that $350 glass further down the road.

But not all women leave reason behind when confronted with a sale. Good luck!

If only my wife was as gracious! lol

As for the glass, she agreed to it, but I have to wait for a bit. *sigh* On the other hand, we went out last night and dropped $1,200 on a dining room table and 8 chairs. So now she is even more worried about money. I may just have to wait for a while.

In other news!!! I just got in two SM57's and a Beta 52 to add to the mic locker. And the new Lava is on its way as well! Had to get a new one to go with the new studio build. :)

Hey, Drum. My lava just died. Where are you gettin' yours?

I love buying new lava! I usually go with e-bay because I tend to find better deals on there than in the stores.

I just do a search for lava lamp then do the home and garden section, then the "lamps lighting and ceiling fans", then I click on, "lava lamps party lights
". And finally arrange by "price: Lowest First". I know I could have told you to just use e-bay. My bad.

http://home.shop.ebay.com/items/Lam...QQ_sopZ15QQ_ssovZ1QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em282

That is the link for the search. :)

Great, I'm going through the same thing right now except I'm just setting up a jam space. I'm building the walls right now. What soundproofing product/solution did you go with?

Great, I'm going through the same thing right now except I'm just setting up a jam space. I'm building the walls right now. What soundproofing product/solution did you go with?

Well I am just going with aurolex foam. And their bass traps they sell. Thing is I will be spending about a grand on foam alone.

Back