Bare mininum "treating" for a room?

"Bare minimum" is achieved when you are no longer asking...

"Why do my mixes suck and sound so muddy, lifeless, inarticulate and not very pro-like?"

...and don't kid yourself about not wanting your mixes to sound pro-like. ;)

Granted, experience and technique have a lot to do with that too...but when you've "milked" your skill to its max, and you are still not happy with your mixes....stop and look at your room and your monitoring. :)

To the op.
Better is better. I get where you are coming from.

Any improvement is an upgrade. I think some just go hog wild on treatment, and more so, talking about it.
Its almost turning into a disease. Like the recording equivalent of having to wash your hands 2,500 times a day. :D

It's easy to give high and mighty, all-knowing advice, but the real world is a different story.
It costs no money to type, but it can be a hell of a lot of cash to do studio grade sound treatment.
:D
So do the best you can.

What's funny is the number of people who will resist the idea of acoustic treatment. Every excuse - "not ready', 'don't need it', 'not looking for pro quality', 'no money'.... Took me years to realize the guys here knew what they were talking about! :facepalm: I tried moving blankets, foam, recording in different rooms, recording vocals in a bed comforter 'tent' ...

The flip side of that is overdoing it and still come up with shit.
I've heard plenty of horrible music come out of well treated rooms.

I've also heard great stuff come out of completely untreated rooms. Operator skill is paramount.

My point is simply to do the best you can within your financial limitations.

Last edited:
Yeah...I don't buy the "Bass Trap Warehouse" approach either. :D

I've seen some rooms that are nothing but wall-to-wall bass traps...it scares me.
I would be afraid in those rooms with all those traps surrounding me. :eek:

I do believe there is a point of diminishing returns...and just stuffing another pile of traps on top of existing piles of traps, isn't going to make that much difference.....YMMV.

I have a confession to make that might make me look like the only Leper in the colony. :D

I have NEVER used sound treatment. Ever.

But then again. I've always used ns10s. Which have no bass and I've always have mixed very quietly.

There! Am I to be banned from HR now?
:D

Not using treatment makes you a rebel....which is OK. Shows you have balls. :cool:

You're only an audio leper at HR when you believe foam is good enough. :D

Good replies; I think you've all captured the gist of where I'm coming from more or less. Really it will be hard to say what I am/am not satisfied with until I get there, just looking for some up-front info.

Maybe I'll skip the vocals, it would be infinitely easier with just the keyboard :)

Good replies; I think you've all captured the gist of where I'm coming from more or less. Really it will be hard to say what I am/am not satisfied with until I get there, just looking for some up-front info.

Maybe I'll skip the vocals, it would be infinitely easier with just the keyboard :)

well if you gonna record vocals use a dynamic like sm57 or 58, it wont pick up to mush of your room, i think it sounds good using a 57 on vocals, it needs a little eq after but a 57 can take a lot of eq before it start to sound bad unlike a condenser :)
i really like the 57 when im playing and recording digital piano and vocal at the same time ,
but dont forget to use a pop filter ,
yep it can be vice to use a pop filter on a dynamic to hehe
a 57 is also very cheap :)

Back