Band rehearsal garage - recording studio??

lunixdrummer

Hi guys,

This is my first post, I wonder if anyone can help me out. My band rehearses in my garage, which is 15' x 14' x 8'. The floor is concrete, as are 3 walls. The whole of one wall is a garage door (fibreglass or something). The ceiling is some kind of chipboardy-wood stuff with usual flat roof stuff on the top. There is one window (approx 2' x 3'), and another normal door on the back wall.

Basically, we want to record demos in there as well, and I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions as to how to acoustically treat the room? All of the cupboards and junk lying around will go, so it will essentially be an empty room to do what I like with! (Also those mirrors will go too if necessary)

We will probably layer the tracks, as I guess the room is to small to record all of us live. Attatched are photos, and if anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate the help!!!

Cheers guys,

Alex

Attachments

• allgarage.jpg
    allgarage.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 146
  • ceiling.JPG
    ceiling.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 136
  • corner.jpg
    corner.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 134
  • door.jpg
    door.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 134
Hi Alex and welcome to the board. First off, its very difficult to give a complete answer to your inquiry in a short reply, but I'll try to offer some hints. I also have some questions for you afterword.

1. Basically, for recording in the same room with performers, the person who is doing the engineering has a built in limitation. He CANNOT monitor the sonic qualitys the mic/mics pick up, on speakers. He MUST use headphones. This is because the mic will also pick up the sound of the speakers, which may or may not be bad, but definetly will change what is recorded. Not only that, but you as an engineer would hear not only the direct sound, but the sound from the speakers as well. Many engineers actually use a PA in the same room as the performers sometimes to get a certain sound. However, they are monitoring from a different isolated room, which allows them to hear what is actually being recorded as they are isolated from the direct sound.
Unfortunately, monitoring in headphones do NOT tell you the real sonic character of the sound from the mics. It is only an approximation, as opposed to those engineers who have the luxury of monitoring over speakers in a seperate room, which allows them to actually hear what the recording sounds like in a room, AS THEY RECORD IT.
Not only the engineer, but the musicians must also have a very good set of headphones which isolate the direct sound from the sound in their headphones., and a very flexible headphone distribution setup as well.

2. One room studios require very flexible recording setups as well. The main reason is space. Tracking in the same room with the musicians does not require the same type monitoring geometry as mixing does, as you are using headphones when tracking and overdubbing. However, mixing requires an equalateral triangle between the monitors and the engineer, which requires space in the room. If you are planning on tracking more than one musician at the same time, usually you will need to isolate one or more instruments via gobos, which also takes up space. In this case, a MOBILE console is prefered, to move it out of the way, as you are monitoring on headphones, and does not require the geometry that mixing does.

3. When recording in such a small room, especially rock music, the acoustics of the room are of little importance to the ambience of the recording. Except to the extent of modal resonances/flutter echo and comb filtering, which can ruin an otherwise good recording. In this respect, for small room recording of rock music, the accepted technique for room acoustics treatment is simple. ABSORB ABSORB ABSORB! In fact, the norm is to make the room as dead as possible, and ad reverb to taste during mixdown, and or to the headphone mix as desired during tracking.

However, this treatment approach is detrimental during mixdown, as the room response will lie to you, as you will find out when finally playing back the recording on other systems in other rooms. Acoustic treatment for mixdown requires a room with as flat room response as possible. Over absorbing the entire sonic spectum in a mixing environment will cause you to overcompensate EQ, which you won't be able to tell during mixing because the room is lieing to you. However, there is MUCH MUCH more to classic control room acoustics than I can get into here. Suffice to say, that is a book into itself. There are tons of information on this board as well as others. I won't go into it here in detail. However, this is the point of having a MOBILE console/monitor setup. Personally, I would design one end of the room for treatment geometry as the front wall in a mixing environment and make this permenant. The rest of the room I would design for mobile treatment(absorption as well as reflection), via gobos and or clouds. Various throw rugs will help too. One important aspect though, is low frequency absorption, which can be accomplished by use of superchunks of rigid fiberglass placed in all 4 vertical corners of the room, floor to cieling, and or 4" thick x 2'x4' panels of rigid fiberglass csuspended diagonally across wall/cieling intersections. These will help during tracking as well as mixing. In fact, low frequency absorption is the most important aspect of small room recording. Thats not to say there arn't others, but as far as treatment, it is the BIGGIE!:D
4. Transmission Loss...or, as most newbies call it..."soundproofing"...
ie, are you trying to keep the sound in the room from transmitting to the outside world and vice versa?

5. If so, then the next consideration is BREATHING:D When you make a room AIRPROOF to keep sound from transmitting via the air by sealing the entire room, then you keep fresh air from entering the room to refresh that air that musicians breath. Not only that, but equipment and humans can quickly heat up a room that has been sealed. Therefore, the subject of ventilation and or HVAC become of prime importances. Suffice to say, now you have to deal with the problem of PENETRATING an building envelope that has been designed to keep air in. As soon as you penetrate this envelope, now you have to figure out how to keep sound from flanking through this system, which can ultimately waste your hard work and hard earned dollars. This subject is another book unto itself.

Hope this opens your eyes to a few things. These subjects have been covered to death on this bbs, as well as others. My best advice is to start reading as much as you can. One of the BEST resources is a book written by a fellow member here. His name is Rod Gervais and he is THE EXPERT!

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Recording-Studio-Build-Like/dp/1598630342

Thanks!!!

Hi Rick,

many thanks for your very detailed response! I really appreciate the effort!

Luckily for me, 'soundproofing' isn't too much of an issue, as traffic noise doesn't penetrate the room too much and the neighbors are pretty cool. Regarding monitoring when tracking, I have a pair of Direct Sound Extreme Isolation headphones that I use, I guess I will need another pair!

After reading your comments, I think I will try and deaden the room as much as possible, i.e. bass traps on the walls, door and calling, maybe build some gobos to go infront of amps or around the drums (although I will probably leave the floor as painted concrete). This is because I also have a converted attic that is currently used as an office and for Xbox/PC gaming! It has a hardwood floor, peaked ceiling, sofas and desks, and would probably make a good mixing room if I treat it right. But regarding the garage as a tracking room, dead is the way to go, right?

So thanks again, that was some very useful stuff! X-D

Also, for anyone who is interested in discussing the merits of gear, here is what I use - (note I don't have all the mics yet - just the C-1, kick, overheads and a 57)

Kick drum - AKG D112
Snare - Shure SM57Beta
Overheads - AKG C1000s (x2)
Toms (8 10 12) Shure SM57 (x2)
Toms (14 16) AKG D112 (x1)
Guitar cabs - Shure SM57 (x2)
Bass amp - D.I.
Vox - Behringer C-1 (Until I get a better alternative)
Mixing desk - Allen & Heath MixWizard 16:2
Audio Interface - Mbox 2 (Need one with more that 2 inputs!
Software - Logic Express & ProTools

As everything we buy needs to be suitable for use on the road (since we're broke! X-D), I am using rim clips on the snare and toms for the 57s and Beta57 to avoid the cost and stage clutter of mic stands. Do these give good mic positions? I'm trying to figure out a way to mount a mic clip on the guitar cabs for the 57s there too.

Thanks Rick!!

P.S. If anyone else has any suggestions, feel free! :)

I am using rim clips on the snare and toms for the 57s and Beta57 to avoid the cost and stage clutter of mic stands. Do these give good mic positions? I'm trying to figure out a way to mount a mic clip on the guitar cabs for the 57s there too.
Should be okay, just not quite as flexible as using typical stands. You might check out a product from LP called the "claw" mic mount (if you don't already have the mic clips). It's a little rim clip gizmo with a protruding mic "arm" that's about 8-12" long. The little plastic jobs that sit low to the rim are generally worthless unless you're using a mic specifically designed for them.

No shame in using a table-top stand for guitar cabinets, either. Assuming the guitar amps are sitting on the floor, this can be an easy (and cheap) solution. Just make sure you've got enough adjustability to get the mic where you want it with a minimum of fuss.

Ya those clips work fine for positioning the mics
One thing I would do is instead of buying a d112 for the toms buy a couple of audix tom mics like the d2 which buying two of will come to about the same price as the d112 but sound absolutely great, I use those suckers on toms all the time without fail. (or maybe even more 57's )
An idea for the guitar amps as you were saying you wanted more of a clip type mount you could grab a couple of sennheiser e609's instead of 57's these give you the capibility to "drape" them over the amps and they are very similar in sound to the 57.

many thanks for your very detailed response! I really appreciate the effort!

No problem. Just remember, these are only MY opinions. Someone else may have the opposite. It wouldn't be the first time.;)

Mice

Thanks for all the tips on miking stuff, I'll look into the various stands and clips. The D112 was a kinda "that'll do" solution, planned to position it between the 14 & 16 so thanks for that too! Yeah that's fair enough Rick, I appreciate your efforts and welcome any other suggestions!

Back