Backyard Steel Shed Vocal Booth

dimej

I just bought a 6m (W) x 3.75m (D) x 2.18m (H) backyard steel shed online, and once it gets here I'm gonna turn it into a decent vocal booth. Any tips? I think with all the insulation and soundproofing, I'd still have enough room for a vocal booth and a couch. I'll be using sound absorption sheets for all types of voice recording from metal, r&b, rap to audiobooks.

What do you mean by 'sound absorption sheets'? What about ventilation/ac/heat? That's a pretty low ceiling ( I suspect only the peak is that high, and there must be some type of framing inside for it), and by the time you put some acoustic treatment on it, it will be even lower.

I'm not even gonna...

I mean, I guess it's not impossible, but just what it would take -- just to insulate it from outside sound -- and I mean birds and crickets, not people talking or vehicles. And yeah, that 2.18m is the peak - the walls are 5'10" and that's probably all there is available as a ceiling (truss roof).

I thought I said I wasn't even gonna....

Stuff the ***t out of it then use it as an amp isolation box. There might just be room left for two!

Dave.

I can't see this working out at all, not enough mass in the shed to start with, it will cost more than the shed to make this work.

Alan

I made a vocal booth out of pallets, a couple of glass patio doors I bought for 10 bucks, some carpeting, insulation, and sheetrocked the outside. I have my drum kit in there. It works very well for drums. Very dead no reflection. I don't really record vocals in there though....too much of a pain in the ass to get the drums out. If you don't take the drums out you get rings and snare rattle triggered by a loud voice. Its easier to throw a blanket over a couple of mic stands and have a makeshift vocal tent. I have achieved great vocal tracks like that.

Back