Backdrop as fabric for bass traps and broad-band absorbers, good idea?

Dicus

Enthusiastic Member
Still looking for my acoustic treatment. I now progressed to the 'what fabric to use fase'. Is backdrop a good idea? Main reason to use it would be that is fire retardant.

I could also use burlap which is more ecofriendly, but burns easily and might have a too open weave to keep the rock/glass particles in.

Or cotton, which also isn't fire retardant.

Any ideas? Thanks already!

'Backdrop' material is usually a heavy muslin or canvas - no good. The material has to be somewhat porous - to let the soundwaves through. Take the material put it over your mouth - can you breath through it? That's what you need. I've used burlap and cotton sheeting.

Still looking for my acoustic treatment. I now progressed to the 'what fabric to use fase'. Is backdrop a good idea? Main reason to use it would be that is fire retardant.

I could also use burlap which is more ecofriendly, but burns easily and might have a too open weave to keep the rock/glass particles in.

Or cotton, which also isn't fire retardant.

Any ideas? Thanks already!

Most acoustic fabrics are fire standard 1. Which means they do burn a little but slowly and put themselves out. Camira do do the Blazer Lite range which is 100% Wool, Fire Rating 0 and basically does not burn. I have tried it and can confirm this. Expensive at about £25 per metre plus VAT though

Thanks guys. I've been very busy and this post slipped by. I already had an appointment for buying backdrop today, and suddenly remembered that I dropped the idea here. I'll cancel the appointment then. Shame though, Backdrop is a nice fabric to look at... I'll consider black cotton and take a closer look at burlap. Thanks again!

It would probably expensive, but speaker grill cloth is pretty much open as far as acoustics go, and looks cool as well!

Imagine! All your acoustic panels covered in Marshall, Fender, or Vox grill cloth! You could mix and match and put logos on them too.

let the world know you're here to rock!
Unless you're doing hip hop, edm or smooth jazz
:D

It would probably expensive, but speaker grill cloth is pretty much open as far as acoustics go, and looks cool as well!

Imagine! All your acoustic panels covered in Marshall, Fender, or Vox grill cloth! You could mix and match and put logos on them too.

let the world know you're here to rock!
Unless you're doing hip hop, edm or smooth jazz
:D

That would be cool - never seen it advertised for sale anywhere, though. I'd love a room full of Fender traps (I'd even add the chrome emblem in the corners).

That would be cool - never seen it advertised for sale anywhere, though. I'd love a room full of Fender traps (I'd even add the chrome emblem in the corners).
You can get it through amp supply shops such as MOJO.

I had a buddy with a vintage guitar store and his main counter, which was about 4' high by 6' long, was done that way.

Fender grill cloth for the front with logo, and black tolex for the sides and top.
Had the proper seams and metal corners.
Looked quite awesome!
:thumbs up:

That sounds like an awesome idea! I found nice cotton clothing that didn't resist my breathing through it to much and was affordable so I bought 50m of that stuff. Gonna need a lot of absorption :D. Today I made the frames for the Rockwool.

Only wondering should I cover the back of the basstraps with cloth to prevent fibers from getting into my lungs or do you guys reckon that won't be nessecary. Your help is very much appreciated, I'll post some pictures when I'm finished...

That sounds like an awesome idea! I found nice cotton clothing that didn't resist my breathing through it to much and was affordable so I bought 50m of that stuff. Gonna need a lot of absorption :D. Today I made the frames for the Rockwool.

Only wondering should I cover the back of the basstraps with cloth to prevent fibers from getting into my lungs or do you guys reckon that won't be nessecary. Your help is very much appreciated, I'll post some pictures when I'm finished...

yes, wrap the rockwool all the way around - keeps everything in place.

Back