Audio Interface Suggestion

CMolena

Hi guys, hope everyone is doing okay.

I need help and guidance from you. I am going on a trip to the US (I am from Brazil) and I am planning to buy some gear there. I already have some equip here, like some dynamic mics and a couple of condensers. I had a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and I really liked it a lot, even though I could only record two channels at once (drum were kind of a challenge everytime - but it was pretty fun though).

Now I really want to step the game up a little bit. I have an analog mixer (a 10 channel Soundcraft from the 90's) and I was thinking about buying an interface that would allow me to use its pres to record more channels. So far so forth, I think the Focusrite 18i8 would be the best buy.

Do you guys think there is a better option for me, or do you think that the 18i8 is the best choice? My budget is around 2k dollars. The 18i8 would allow me to buy some other mics , as it is kinda cheap...and probably even a Macbook or a good PC. But then again, tell me what you think about it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Caio.

If you are going to spend $349 for a 4 track interface, buy the Tascam US 16x8 and record 16 tracks at once and save $50.00. I have two of them and would be on the phone first thing in the morn if one crapped out to replace it.

If you are going to spend $349 for a 4 track interface, buy the Tascam US 16x8 and record 16 tracks at once and save $50.00. I have two of them and would be on the phone first thing in the morn if one crapped out to replace it.

Thanks for the help! Do you think that the preamps of the TASCAM are worse than the Focusrite’s?

Mack, how is the headphone out on your Tascam? I've got a US-1800 and ended up having to get a headphone amp as it's output was so weak. This was a common complaint with this interface and wondering if they improved it with newer versions. Otherwise I'm happy with the Tascam.

Hey Mark, the specs are 70mW+70mW or more (THD+N 0.1% or less, 32ohms loaded). I run it into a 8 can power amp with no problems. Had eight going at once with no complaints. If I just use the HP out jack, it will supply much more power then I need to listen at the proper level. It will give most a headache after 2 or 3 mins maxed out. If I remember correctly the dbs for M/M are from 70 to 80dbs depending on who you ask. It has no problem reaching that range with room to spare.

Back