ASPHXIATION

gervis

i am building a basement recording studio in the CENTER of a no heat, no air, no accesible windows basement.
my Q'S are:
if I don't feed air into my studio, will they find my lifeless body with my strat around my neck?
& if i do need to feed air- how can i do so inexpensively?
:confused:

Yeah - but they'll just pinch the strat and leave you alone.
You can make your own aircon system using the flexible duct that is available from any aircon company. You will need some kind of fan to move the air -

cheers
john :)

put ventilation in your plan ...

I didn't .. and while I'm not dead yet (some people argue this ;) )... I can't have a full band in the studio for more than 1-2 hours without everybody taking at least a couple 15 minute breaks to open windows and turn on fans to get some air moving.
Not life-threatening (as of yet) ... but certainly uncomfortable and really distracting to the creative process.
If there's any way at all that you can tie into an existing forced air system ... do so. But do this before you're done with construction ... my situation forces me to retrofit .. which is more than a significant pain in the ass.

gervis said:
i am building a basement recording studio in the CENTER of a no heat, no air, no accesible windows basement.
my Q'S are:
if I don't feed air into my studio, will they find my lifeless body with my strat around my neck?
& if i do need to feed air- how can i do so inexpensively?
:confused:

So are you saying that there is no HVAC (heating, ventalation, air conditioning) in your house? If there is an HVAC system in your house the trunk (the big metal duct coming from your furnace that you feed into each room) should be in the basement. You should then be able to cut a hole into the trunk and feed fexible duct into your new room. Also, don't forget to make a return air. If you put air into a room, the air that's already there needs a place to go. The return air is along with the trunk, but a bit smaller. Run it exactly the same as you run the air in.

Any questions on this, or if you're like to elaborate just ask.

Later,
-Brian

Brian

Well, I do have central heat/air, but the unit is in the attic & wasn't run thru to the basement- hence no air.
I could upgrade & tear my house all up; or I could add a new small unit to the basement- either way we are talking money! The solution I need should be inexpensive.
however, 1 thing I forgot to mention, is that mostly equipment is going in here- I am a loner, no big band in a small space.
THNX, Mike

Re: Brian

gervis said:
Well, I do have central heat/air, but the unit is in the attic & wasn't run thru to the basement- hence no air.

Ewww... sounds ugly. Good luck :)

How hard would it be to run the heat from the attic to the basement? I'm sure that would cost less than putting a new unit in the basement. If you put a new unit in the basement you'd have to get a new pipeline for your gas put in, which would be quite expensive. If you could run heat/air through a wall somehow could that work?

ugly is right

gas is not an option- all electric. & yeah, i could run down thru a wall, but we are JUST heating and cooling the house upstairs as it is! As you can see I do have an interesting dilemma.
the basement doesn't get too hot or too cold- 2 walls are cement underground and i live in atlanta.
the real Q is: do i need to feed COOLED/HEATED AIR or will
just fans be enough. We are talking about a single/double user basement studio approx. 10'w x 16'l x 7 1/2'h. (small)
any suggestions?
preesh, mike

Back