Arranging 703?

Rocket Boy

I'm not in a situation just yet where I can put any rigid fiberglass into a permanent place... but I was wondering if it would help my recordings if when I was say recording acoustic guitar or vocals had it arranged maybe on mic stands around me? Covered in fabric of course.

Rocket Boy said:
I'm not in a situation just yet where I can put any rigid fiberglass into a permanent place... but I was wondering if it would help my recordings if when I was say recording acoustic guitar or vocals had it arranged maybe on mic stands around me? Covered in fabric of course.

Sure. Heck, you can just leave it laying around, standing up on your furniture or something :)

Well. I'm going to be investing in pre's soon... and just bought a new mic... so I want to make sure that investment isnt negated by a crappy sounding room.

If you can't go permanent, then build some gobos that are hard on one side and absorbtive on the other. You can move them around as needed and make the room as live or dead as you want. You can use them as absorbtive for a pseudo vocal 'booth' or against the wall for reflection control when mixing. You can use them hard side out at an angle to the wall when you're doing live work and you want a less dead sound.

Will I notice a major difference in performance between 4 inch and 2 inch bass traps? Probably worth it esspecially for drums and stuff right?

bpape said:
If you can't go permanent, then build some gobos that are hard on one side and absorbtive on the other. You can move them around as needed and make the room as live or dead as you want. You can use them as absorbtive for a pseudo vocal 'booth' or against the wall for reflection control when mixing. You can use them hard side out at an angle to the wall when you're doing live work and you want a less dead sound.

What happens if you were to keep them the way they are and attach them, as in, no hard side. Wouldn't there be better isolation?

Not sure exactly what you're asking but I'll give it a shot.

The whole point of 1 side hard and 1 side soft was to allow you to tweak the room for different usages.

For making a temp booth, the hard side will help the isolation more than not having it will. It won't be perfect either way but at least you won't have things coming at you from outside through the absorbtion.

Bryan

Back