Any suggestions while I'm building my studio?

bengom

So I'm making my studio now, all is going well. Does anyone have any suggestions or alterations?

20iuzkm.png

My 27" iMac will sit here fairly far back, while two KRK rokit 5's are wall mounted w/ isolation pads
Should I add two wholes to my desk to put stands through for the KRK's for more support/less resonating?

A dimensioned floor plan of the room would allow better commenting. I'd first suggest getting the desk out of the corner - corners and soundwaves are never good, even with the speakers spaced away from the actual corner.

A dimensioned floor plan of the room would allow better commenting. I'd first suggest getting the desk out of the corner - corners and soundwaves are never good, even with the speakers spaced away from the actual corner.

Can I sort this by putting foam behind the monitors?

What if it is acoustical foam? :P

Sorry, I'm not contributing anything to the conversation, just having a little fun.

:laughings: There are manufacturers of acoustical foam, the problem is that it is not the solution for all problems as some people think. I do have some acoustic foam in the studio but it is only to tame some top end around my drum area at head (cymbal) hight, and I have a little on a wall near where I usually record guitar cabs as there was a little high end slap-back there. But this is only to fine tune the highs a little and only after the bass trapping, midband absorbers and ceiling clouds are installed. My control room has no foam just home made acoustic panels. Typically foam only attacks the highs and if you take away all the highs you are left with muddy mids and lows.

A culprit in pushing foam is Sound On Sound Magazine when they have the "Studio SOS" articles and nearly always install foam panels. However in their defence they are usually talking about fixing imaging problem with the monitors or reducing slap-back not outright acoustics issues. Trouble is that people read the articles and think all problems can be solved with foam. Sorry Paul & Hugh LOL.

Alan.

I've got some 'acoustic foam' in ceiling-wall corners where I didn't have space for real bass trapping (above doorways, windows). Does it do any good? Probably not. :rolleyes: But it looks cool! :thumbs up: I just figured that with my small room, all the trapping and absorption I can get is needed. I add a little 'air' into my miked vocals when I think it needs it, whether this is because of the excess absorption, who knows?

In my opinion over and above previous comments:
Center your desk and monitors between the left and right walls.
Try to keep your audio monitors at least 1 ft. away from the wall behind them.
Make sure Audio Monitors are at ear height.
Place Acoustic Panels on either side wall next to desk to catch first reflections.
DSC00907.JPG DSC00910.JPG
Although the walls behind my monitors are almost filled with 8-inch Deep Bass Traps, I still need to take care of my corners.
Studio611515-1 (2).jpg

Back