any ideas?

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
My studio is in a big aluminum rectangle. :D
the are two small rooms built in, which have some insulation. The biggest problem with noise are these hollow doors, I'm hoping to "stumble" across some solid doors soon.
The big tracking room has nothing. no insulation what so ever. it gets plenty cold/hot in that metal box! I can't really afford to build another room in there (one day though) as is the room sounds good. I have a small wall in there to seperate the space, but just the shear amount of junk stored in the place, and the few curtains and blankets I have hanging from the cieling, make it sound not so "tinny". I'm in the middle of nowhere, no ouside noise to deal with except tractors and crickets. Right now the big problem is getting some heat in there.

The big room is roughly 20' x 40' x 14'. I use half the space. I have a small wall (8' x 8') that divides the space. I have curtains up, some blankets, sort of makes a "room". With heaters, I can help a little with the cold at night. but geez the cieling is so high, I'm not really doing anything. I had thought about constructing some moveable walls, scrounge up some 2x4's get some sheetrock and some insulation and just do it. (how to make them movable, I'm not to clear on yet :D) basically I want to be able to make the room "smaller," but move the walls back to open the space back up. The question is, what about the cieling? I thought maybe I could do a drop cieling. how cool would this be?- the cieling could be raised and lowered. I'm imaging the walls coming in, the cieling coming down and fitting to make a room. then they spread out agian....

I have no budget :( but I could maybe make it happen.

but anyways, back to reality... I'm screwed... it's going to be a long winter...

I don't enen know if I have a question here or not...

oh yeah? any ideas? or does anyone have some magic knowledge of how to prevent heat from rising? :p

-jhe

As for the moveable partitions I have 2 ideas. If you build them get some locking casters, any local hardware store should have them. Build a partition at the bottom add a 2x4 to add stability and attack the casters. The other is to barge a school or office and steal a cubical or something like it. I mean it, growing up I lived next to a school and at the end of the year they were throwing away something that would work. Also the cubials are padded so the can reduce some about of sound, yet short enough to look over. If you built one you could add a peli glass part so you could see through it and make you look cool.

I like Wally's suggestion about office partitions on castors - but the ceiling? you can always move upwards - like a four foot riser will give you a 10' ceiling??

cheers
John

intresting idea...

hmm... if I was to raise the floor, I could make walls that could enclose it, and not be too far off the cieling. Plus I could run cables and what not and store things under the floor. Plus working on the floor would be a lot easier than the cieling. Still it's an expensive solution. I would have to make the riser really solid to take the weight of course, but also to be sure that it dosen't create any resonant frequencies. It would almost be cheaper to spray insulation on the walls. But I don't want to deaden the room. One of the shops here is insulated that way and it is super dead, despite that it's like 70' x 50' x 18'!!
I could reharse in there- which I probably will when it gets really cold, but it leaks, and it's my Uncles wood shop and also a mechanic uses it, so it's a real pain, I could never setup the studio in there.
I'm going to do some thinking, I think a plan may be coming together... I'm going to have to do something if I want to get any clients in here this winter...

after this i may even break bad a get a bathroom down here. :D sucks having to run people to the house for bathroom breaks.

-jhe

Back