Angles in the Room

david42

So I have gathered, both from looking at professional studios and from comments here
that avoiding an ordinary rectangular shaped room with 90 degree angles is desired for a room in which to record.

So here's my question:

What is optimum instead of those 90 degree angles?

Unless you are building from the ground up, the room is upwards of 5k cf and have an acoustician at your disposal..personally I'd forget it.:) In reality..room modes can be predicted via calculators..for RECTANGULAR rooms. And it's a proven fact..non rectangular rooms do NOT get rid of room modes...they only make prediction impossible. They look cool though.:D

The key word is Cubic feet. However, I'll refer you to this. Make up your own mind.

Angles of Control Room walls - Page 7 - Gearslutz.com

My opinion is in small, homestudio type rooms it's a waste of space. And there are lots of other elements to consider in the final analysis. Like diffusion, absorption etc etc. To some people, the one good thing about splayed walls is creating an RFZ(reflection free zone) However, there are litterally TONS of "school of thought" opinions regarding this as well. Again though..Cubic feet.

Of course, "my" opinion doesn't mean diddley squat. So take it with a grain of salt.:)

Back