Analog VU meters: any aftemarket units I can put in line? How hard to build?

I'm still waiting for the cassette deck to arrive, but I made another find at a pawnshop last weekend: a TEAC A-1200u in pretty good shape. I am waiting for the replacement drive belt to arrive today, I have put everything else in order (I hope). I may bounce my 'cold' digital recordings (or tracks thereof) down to these things and then bounce them back, and see if some of the analog warmth comes through.

I can't believe the high level of workmanship on this old reel to reel... the faceplate would stop a .22, everything is heavy duty. Another very cool thing, the following happened while dickering about the machine at the pawnshop:

PAWNSHOP GUY: "You want to buy some old pre-recorded tapes for this thing?"
ME: "Maybe one, so I can test it."
PAWNSHOP GUY: "I'll give you 5 for 10 bucks."
ME: "Naaaaah...."
PAWNSHOP GUY: "I'll give you 10 for 10 bucks."
ME: "Ummmm.... Naaaaah........"
PAWNSHOP GUY: "I'll give you all I got for 20 bucks."
ME: "Ummm. Sure."

50 tapes!!!!

....so I got about 50 prerecorded reel to reel tapes for 20 bucks: Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Donovan, Creedence... jazz, blues, etc... I can't wait to finish reconditioning this thing and fire it up! I'm sure a lot of them are trashed, but.... we shall see! :guitar:

I've been cataloging the tapes and checking prices on eBay... some of the Beetles ones are worth 200 bucks apiece!

I'm literally in shock.

AND

They sound great!
:laughings:

Back