Am I all set for the basics?

Istvan Medgyesi

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and to my own recording setup. I'm a multi-instrumentalist and have picked up a nice little array of gear to let me start recording myself. The following is what I'm setting up currently

Good, dedicated laptop with Ableton Suite, Studio One, and a decent amount of plugins/virtual instruments

Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 interface

KRK monitor set

A few sdc's and one ldc mic

Handful of dynamic mics

stands, cables, pop filter, etc

Headphones

MIDI Controller keyboard

Anything of particular importance I'm missing? It's just synth, guitar, some acoustic instrument and vocals that I'll be recording mainly, and it's a failry small space (15X15 room) Thanks for any advice or recommendations! I'd also like to be able to keep it relatively mobile for now.

Looks like a pretty good list of stuff,. Seems like you've got more than enough from a gear perspective to get started. Treated your room at all? Pretty much everybodys going to recommend bass traps in the front corners and panel traps at the first reflection points. Without these your studio monitors will be largely irrelevant. Look to spend 1-200 bucks and a lonely weekend. Good luck.

Most any room acoustics advice you would hope to get in response to your thread has already been provided in the following links:

https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...oustic-treatment/small-room-acoustics-365127/

Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms

Oh and I forgot to mention that the space I'm renting is a half of an unused, larger room, with an accordion divider making up one of the walls. Will this be of any value for breaking up reflections?

Probably not. Might do something, hard to say. Whats it made of. Wood with material over it designed to block passage of light and speech level frequencies? doesn't matter the real issues are bass trapping and early reflections. The good news is bass will probably ignore the room divider to an extent and you could probably calculate your room modes based on the entire space rather than just your half.

It's made of a flexible, synthetic material of some sort (It's in a room previusly used as a sunday school class). Thanks for the reply, been studying up on what I need for some acoustic treatment. If I'm using the whole room as a guide, would I need bass traps and treatment in the unused portion as well? Thanks so much for the help.

If you can easily blow air through the material its probably fine and you can ignore it. If not,. I would assume its meant to absorb speech level frequencies which might provide a similar effect as drop ceiling tiles,. but on your back wall. I doubt its going to hurt or help you much because there are so many more frequencies whos reflections will NOT be altered. You will need bass traps and panels at your first reflection points including one either on the actual back wall, or the room divider if thats not an option. Sounds like a smaller space your working with which makes this even more important. There are mathy answers readily available. the links I posted,. its all there. Your ears and the room are also tools in the audio chain that have as much effect on the mix as anything with knobs.

Back