aesthetically pleasing interior acoutic treatment....

Zed10R

I call on the collective wisdom of this board once again.

My home studio is fairly dead, but I have noticed a slight resonance in the upper frequencies when I am tracking with a condenser. I don't know the actual hz's, but It's at about the same frequency as a snare. The resonance doesn't last long and isn't really obvious, but it is beginning to get on my nerves.

I need to dampen that resonance as much as possible but still keep the room looking like an attractively decorated room as opposed to an ugly styrofoam box or a room with crap on the walls. Meaning the typical square, black, acoustical foam won't work, and neither will egg cartons or hanging heavy blankets from the walls....

Thanks

Hey Zed,

I've had a lot of success creating acoustic treatments that are frequently suggested on this board. Basically, you take a 2x4 sheet of Owen Cornings 703 (or equivalent product) and cover it with fabric like a present. Or you can build a frame out of wood, place the insulation inside it, and wrap it in fabric. Any fabric that is breathable (i.e., not weaved too tightly) will suffice as it will allow sound to pass through and be absorbed. Right off that bat, you can make important aesthetic decisions such as what colour you want these to be.

You can see some pictures of mine here:

http://will.wackyville.tv/acousticpanels/acoustic.html

I will post some pictures of the finished product on the wall later. If you search around this section of the board, you will find lots of examples of these types of acoustic treatments.

Milkman

My home studio is fairly dead,
That is a subjective observation. What tells you it is dead, or what is in the room that makes this happen, as standard walls, ceilings and floors are NOT dead. Carpet, couches, and drapes make for absorption of upper mids and high frequencies. Usually though, home studios are in need of bass trapping as well as broadband absorption devices. What is absorbing in your space. It could be there is a resonance in an HVAC duct, or a fireplace flue, or a pipe or even a space off of the room such as a small closet, hallway. Anything like that in your space? And then there is flutter echos, which to some may sound like a resonance at certain frequencies, and even a room mode may be outstanding.
fitZ

ethan winer has some pictures of rich people's homes with his acoustical products on the walls on his website. they look ok. www.realtraps.com
(just kidding). I have some Mansville 2" FSK on the way (yeah!) along with 36' of 12" tube insulation I am going to use to make these: http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/traps/traps.html

I have a similar problem in my house because it is tile and the frequency that rings the most seems to be around 1000 Hz or just under that (depending on which room). reading all of the information out there on this site, ethan's, and the rest of the internet (you can find a lot on this by just searching google) can take you days or months. But from what you are describing, you might want to look into building a diffusor or just purchase some panels as pictured on the above link.

I can't wait to see how this works out for me. I am either going to come back here cursing all of you or praising all of your glory!

Milkman said:
Hey Zed,

I've had a lot of success creating acoustic treatments that are frequently suggested on this board. Basically, you take a 2x4 sheet of Owen Cornings 703 (or equivalent product) and cover it with fabric like a present. Or you can build a frame out of wood, place the insulation inside it, and wrap it in fabric. Any fabric that is breathable (i.e., not weaved too tightly) will suffice as it will allow sound to pass through and be absorbed. Right off that bat, you can make important aesthetic decisions such as what colour you want these to be.

You can see some pictures of mine here:

http://will.wackyville.tv/acousticpanels/acoustic.html

I will post some pictures of the finished product on the wall later. If you search around this section of the board, you will find lots of examples of these types of acoustic treatments.

Milkman

AWESOME idea!! Thanks!! If I had more patience I would have eventually run across the other posts suggesting this, so it was cool of you to say it all again.

Please do post pics when you can. I'd like to see how you do it.....

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
That is a subjective observation. What tells you it is dead, or what is in the room that makes this happen, as standard walls, ceilings and floors are NOT dead. Carpet, couches, and drapes make for absorption of upper mids and high frequencies. Usually though, home studios are in need of bass trapping as well as broadband absorption devices. What is absorbing in your space. It could be there is a resonance in an HVAC duct, or a fireplace flue, or a pipe or even a space off of the room such as a small closet, hallway. Anything like that in your space? And then there is flutter echos, which to some may sound like a resonance at certain frequencies, and even a room mode may be outstanding.
fitZ

I know the room is not 100% scientifically acoustically dead. It is impossible to get absolutly zero reflected soundwaves if you are in any sort of enclosed space. But to my ears, the only audible resonance is around the frequency of a snare, so that is all I am worried about for now.

The ceiling is plain painted plasterboard. 2 of 6 walls are standard sheet rock, but I have a lot of heavy framed art hanging on them so they are not big flat reflectors. I've got heavy drapes on 2 other walls (big windows), and full shelves on the 5th. The last wall creates kindof a short hallway to the door. There are no ducts inside the room, just leading TO the room. I also have a small closet stuffed with gear and a large couch at the back of the room. That's it. Any nifty ideas??

FALKEN said:
ethan winer has some pictures of rich people's homes with his acoustical products on the walls on his website. they look ok. www.realtraps.com
(just kidding). I have some Mansville 2" FSK on the way (yeah!) along with 36' of 12" tube insulation I am going to use to make these: http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/traps/traps.html

I have a similar problem in my house because it is tile and the frequency that rings the most seems to be around 1000 Hz or just under that (depending on which room). reading all of the information out there on this site, ethan's, and the rest of the internet (you can find a lot on this by just searching google) can take you days or months. But from what you are describing, you might want to look into building a diffusor or just purchase some panels as pictured on the above link.

I can't wait to see how this works out for me. I am either going to come back here cursing all of you or praising all of your glory!

Same here - if go to all the trouble of convincing the wife to let me do this, it better work!!.... :D

Back