Advice on workstation placement in new studio

basek78

Hello all,

I stumbled on to this forum today in preparation for the journey of the first build :)

Of course the room has its limitations, as usual, but I think it has enough space to make something work. General purpose is mixing, although I will also use it as a home cinema - but that's a secondary prio.

The room itself has an interesting shape, considering the ceiling goes upward, and one wall is angled. For clarity I made a couple of schema's.

As I see it, there are two options regarding positioning of the place where I will sit, but I am not sure which would be the most ideal. At the moment my best guess would be the setup with the mixing workstation on the left hand side - but I think this would provide some challenges in the treatment department considering the monitors will be really close to wall/angled ceiling and I am concerned this will create a weird reflection.

Suggestions or tips are welcome.

Thanks.

Side.jpgTop (option 2).jpgTop (option 1).jpg

Desk on the right (middle diagram). Make a bass trap/superchunk for the corner with the door to be easily moved (on casters, maybe) - you want symmetry as much as possible so the left side (to the desk) can have the same treatment permanently in place - not sure what that is next to the desk in the diagram, but unless it is same as/lower than the desk height, move it!

Last edited:
Thanks for replying. That is actually another desk (same height) to I use to put stuff on like PC, etc. But I am playing with the idea to maybe make my own (bigger) desk to fit everything on.

More symmetry but also better use of space and more accessible equipment.

Its a bit easier to position things using this option, but I would break the 33% rule of seating position in the room wouldn't I? Or can I neglect this?

For most of us, the 33% rule (away from the front wall) is not an option due to room size. Treating the front wall with bass traps is the answer to that.

Maybe a bit off topic, but what about bass traps. Of course in the corners, but does this also count for the diagonal corners that go up the sides of the ceiling, including the top (the ^ part)?

ANY corner. Start with the verticals ones, ceiling cloud and first reflection points, then keep adding as you feel you need it.

Back