Advice Needed! Building Home Studio

RockinRobert

Hello all, I am a newbie to this site. I need advice on the best way to plan my home studio. I don't need much advice on the equipment side of things, but the physical building and soundproofing of the studio itself.
I am starting with a brand new garage ( already built),with an alotted space of 14' x 28' for my studio. It will have a separate control room within this area. I need to know, should I build a floor on top of the concrete? Or just cover the concrete...I'm worried about moisture problems. Can I soundproof enough for a demo studio with the standard wall thickness of 3 1/2 inches? Do I need a wall inside the walls with an air gap in between? I don't wanna go extravagant, just a good home studio capable of some serious demo work with other bands. I will be PC based as far as recording goes. What is the best stuff to use in the walls for insulation/soundproofing?
I really appreciate any and all advice from all of you. I will take it all in and digest it. I will begin later this fall on this project with a spring completion date planned.
So once again, thanks for ANY help/advice. It's nice to have a place like this to chew the fat :-) Lets Rock

first off, you have a huge resource infront of you. read throgh ALL the posts in this forum about building. and then you will probably have some more ideas. personally the last 2/3 months have had the best info on building. so make sure you check those atleast if you dont want to read back further. then go out and buy a book. if you are willing to spend $4000 on construction then $40 for some books is more then a good investment. take alook at John Sayers diagrams and learn about acoustic, and how frequencies are transmitted and aborbed differently. If you are worried about moisture a well planned HVAC system even if small will be a good investment. and in the end. take your time.

Thanks....I feel like an idiot already for not reading through the posts on this topic beforehand. There is just a wealth of info on what I'm looking for. Mr. Sayers site is fantastic! I promise not to ask anymore questions until I have exhausted the resources that lay before me first :-) I've been online for years now, but never really got into discussion groups much until now. Thanks for the info, and to all, just thanks for being here! bOb

RockinRobert, welcome:) Look through all the previous posts and free welcome to join the others who just email me direct with their dimensions and we work it out through the net
Cheers
John :D

Back