Adam T7V's both for music creation and hifi listening?

Tim Hidskes

TL;DR Is a speaker like the Adam T7V suited and strong enough for both creating and listening to music in a 21 m2 rectangular room?

Hey all, I have a speaker question for you. I’m currently looking for a set of good speakers for my room. As I am living in a small student apartment, I’d like to buy a single set of speakers for both creating and listening to music. I will spend 50 % of my time using the speakers listening to good quality music (high res, cd’s, vinyl), 49% playing keyboards and writing in Cubase and 1% mixing.

My first choice was a KRK Rokit, but after I read everywhere online that it’s too bassy I looked a bit further. I was surprised to find out Adam Audio (the high end speaker producer) has just released a budget series of studio monitors (T5V and T7V). I went to a music store to check out the T7V and was absolutely blown away. Maybe it’s because I’m used to simple Logitech speakers for my music system, but the amount of detail, 3D-sound and the stereo separation are things that I have never heard before in my life.

There’s one thing however that I’m in doubt about and that is the T7V as a suitable ‘hifi-set’ for my room. In the music store I noticed that the speakers have a broad ‘sweet spot’ and that the amount of detail decreases a lot when you stand up or walk a few steps. I know this is exactly the way nearfield speakers are meant to behave. However, I’d like to walk around my room now and then to do stuff while listening music. So my question is: is it smart to buy Adam T7V’s both for creating and listening to music?

I’m thinking of all kinds of solutions: tilting the speakers backwards to have more detailed sound in the room, having the speakers point straight into the room instead of the common triangular position, etc. However I still kinda doubt whether the speakers are able to ‘fill’ the whole room.

By the way, I live in a rectangular room, about 3,5 x 6 meters in size (+/- 21 m2). The T7V is a 7 inch speaker.

Thanks!

Don't overthink it. If you like the sound you'll be fine.
Besides, with any set of studio monitors, you SHOULD listen extensively to music you know and love to 'learn' the speakers for use in mixing and production.

Hi Tim and welcome.

The T7Vs are reviewed in the current, August issue of Sound on Sound where they get a very good report. They impressed as being one of the best "budget" monitors they had handled and even better than other, more expensive brands.

"Filling the room". Well the speakers can deliver over 100dB SPL and I doubt you would be able to use that often in student digs! As to the "sweet spot" ? ALL speakers have one, some a bit wider than others but if you go walkabout, no speaker system I know of will still deliver pin point stereo. (There have been makes and models over the years with that claim. Sonab come to mind but they turned out to be talking bllx!) .

Thought occurs? IF you wanted slamming EDM bass now and then save for a sub woofer. A good one will take the bottom octave from the Adams and give them a dB or so more output at the same time making you even LESS popular with the neighbours!

Dave.

Back