Acoustics question.

Dougdlux

I recently bought a new mattress so I have a 4 inch foam top just sitting in my garage. If I cut that into squares and cut them into 2 inch thick pieces would that be good for acoustic sound proofing, or whatever you may call it. I don't mean sound proofing, but sound bouncing off the walls. I was thinking of getting cheep sheets and wrapping them so they at least look nice as well. Also, I am thinking that would be for around my actually monitors and in the room I want to record with (drums, vocals etc) hang my extra comforters/blankets on the walls in that room to deaden the sound. Any input on this would be awesome.

Yup. I *hate* foam because I've tried it and it turns out, everyone was right. Just isn't a good solution. Look up your local commercial building product supplier (i.e. commercial metal stud & drywall supplier) and find rigid fiberglass (Owen Corning 703 or equal) or rockwool (rockwool is alot easier to get your hands on).

Jeff D, how's your experience with DIY bass traps been?

Immediate and VERY obvious improvement. Mixing is easier and mixes translate to other systems MUCH better. I used rockwool for most of my treatments because it was readily available and slightly less expensive (but mostly because it was readily available :p).

My old space was about 12' x 15'- it was more of a band practice room. Initially I "treated" it with the same mattress foam mentioned above. The room sounded "un-natural"- the bass was off and all the highs were sucked out of the room. I later treated the same room with rockwool panels (that would correspond roughly with my HR.com join date :p)

I moved out of that house and into my current house about 5 years ago. You can find a layout of my studio a few threads down (I'm trying to improve my drum area now). I can say comfortably and confidently based on my own experience, that rigid fiberglass / rockwool room treatments are the way to go... and if you price the stuff against Auralex or other reputable foam mfgs, the fiberglass is usually cheaper.

Hope that helps. :)

That guy Ethan has some incredible videos. Def a lot of help. And the DIY bass traps, I will give those a shot when I get a few extra bucks on the side.

New thought. As I am on a budget, as in like I have $10 at the end of the month type of budget. If I hang the blankets like I said before, and maybe place like towels in every corner, then put sheets on the ceiling draping down in squares, if you know how I mean. Wouldn't that do, in a sense, the same thing as $12,000 worth of sound acoustics, and bass traps? I mean, of course it won't be nearly as good, BUT, it will retain the reverb and bouncing off the walls and corners and such. In theory it should deaden the room.

You might get some mileage out of blankets, but other than that, I doubt you'll accomplish much. Of course, Ethan's video had a shit load of $ worth of his stuff in it... but, I think most home recordists spend more on the order of a couple hundred bucks to reasonably treat a room. ;)

Ok... a few hundred bucks sounds a little more reasonable lol. Tax season is coming up, maybe I can get a big ass gift for myself. :)

Jeff D, how's your experience with DIY bass traps been?

I will second that. Im in the process of buying one or two more as soon as I can get the el fundzies together.

But the cloud above me is rock rock rockin...

do do do do I feel sunshine.... on a cloudy day.... when its cold outside... i got better sound today.... lol i dunno

Yup! That definitely helped. But a part of me still wishes it were actually as easy as slapping on some foam :o

Back