Acoustics in a 12'x10' room

Choncho

I have recently moved to a townhome and will be using one of the bedrooms as a electronic music HR studio. Could you please help me with your suggestions as per what and where to acoustically treat the room?

My current plan is to make bass traps out of Owens Corning 705 insulation measuring 8' tall, 4" thick and 2' wide for the corners, front,back and sides of the room. The front area or short wall behind my monitors has two closets (26" deep). This is the only shared wall to my next door neighbour. I will be removing the rattlesnake cheap bifold closet doors and will be placing 3 bass traps side by side there (resembling a false wall) . The room has two windows and two doors. The side bass traps will not be parallel in accordance to where I am sitting because of the window,door and wall placement. Behind my work area there will be a centered bass trap and another skinny 16" wide sizetrap beside.It also has a carpeted floor. No bar wall will be left untreated. I am on a budget and don't plan on modifying the room ten fold for resale reasons.I could lay butted plywood with a cheap finish like lyno or vinyl linoleum tile on top of the carpet. Is it worth the time and money? In accordance to Mr.Ethan Winer he suggests alternating the foil paper lined FRK front to back. How would you place the front or back FRK with the room?

I thought of going with the back side of the 705 FRK paper towards the wall in the corners, front and back dead center, and off centered sides. Then the few remaining (x2 left and right of false wall in the front and x1 in the back off center) with the front face of paper forward.

I have a detailed sketch of the room dimensions and photos available too but they are not included because I don't know how to post pictures on the forum. This will be the first time I've treated a music work space.

Any help is greatly appreciated - thank you.

From Steve

Start with the corners, the side wall point-of-first reflection traps and a ceiling cloud, and see how it sounds. I don't see the need for hardwood or tile or lino floor if you are not doing any acoustic instrument recording.

Back